Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which formats do you still own/Like?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    This was my original point, that Panasonic's definite policy - as they told me - is to prevent "bootlegging" even though it also stops original discs being made at home, with movie, archive and TV-recorded material, which would not affect sales for the big DVD companies. All the big electronics firms sell to the movie industry, so a boycott of any that still make "bootleg enabled" recorders would hit them hard. But there is obviously a definite market for an all-inputs recorder and I don't know of any DVD releases that are not copy-protected, so the problem should not really arise. But there is a firm that repairs, refurbishes and restores recorders and we've had excellent service from them. If I can find a way to send a message on this system I'll put you in contact privately as I don't want to be accused of spam.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Carl V View Post


      I still have a Sony DVD recorder with built-in hard drive and although it still records and plays back with the hard-drive, it unfortunately no longer transfer recordings onto DVD's any more. I had considered the Panasonic as a possible replacement when I first heard about it as Sony no longer make these machines, but it appears there wouldn't be any point in buying the Panasonic after all as there isn't any way to connect my satellite receiver to it.

      A shame really as both Sony and Panasonic make some fine AV equipment, but why they don't include input sockets is quite frankly beyond me.
      No scart connections?

      Comment


      • #63
        No problem. I haven't seen the Panasonic in the flesh, so to speak, but from what you say then it does sound like a step backwards as you pointed out.I still have a Sony DVD recorder with built-in hard drive and although it still records and plays back with the hard-drive, it unfortunately no longer transfer recordings onto DVD's any more. I had considered the Panasonic as a possible replacement when I first heard about it as Sony no longer make these machines, but it appears there wouldn't be any point in buying the Panasonic after all as there isn't any way to connect my satellite receiver to it.

        A shame really as both Sony and Panasonic make some fine AV equipment, but why they don't include input sockets is quite frankly beyond me.
        Sony have not made PVR's in some years, and even mine was actually a Pioneer design.

        The only sat receiver in the larger market is Humax - Panny stopped making sat PVR's 4 years ago.

        Before everyone complains about inputs and the manufacturers, remember that they have to make tens if not hundreds of thousands of machines to make even a relatively small profit, and inputs are no longer required/an extra expense.
        The bulk of people have always simply recorded, watched, wiped, even in the era of VCR. You want to save a series? Chances are its on a boxset, or streaming, or simply repeated forever. And manufacturers dont want to step on studio's toes with possible bootlegging, but to be honest, anyone can steal anything now digitally via the net and a PC - its more to do with the relative cost and complexity to make a machine do something that hardly anyone (relatively speaking) needs to do.

        And no - scart connections are an analogue SD connection in a digital HD/4K world - so why would they put that in? Humax do, but Panasonic recognise that with no non HDMI equiped TV having been made for a decade or more, they can sell equipment that enough of the market wants.

        Frankly guys, your looking for a near bespoke solution, in M & S. Hardly surprisingly, they are probably not going to be able to supply it.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

          No scart connections?
          Sadly no.
          My Sky box and Sony recorder are connected with scart leads, but unfortunately the Panasonic does not have such a facility - only HDMI now, as Bonekicker mentions.

          Comment


          • #65
            If you need one with inputs then now is the time to buy second hand whilst you can still get something in reasonable condition.
            There is a firm on Ebay offering Sony RDR HXD 870s at a reasonable price. He says they are ex display models, have never been used and are NOT refurbished models and are cosmetically in as new condition. The price is quire reasonable. I managed to pick up a good Sony HXD 890 which is very similar and it still has Scart connections for Sky or cable users There are plenty used ones still around.

            Someone mentioned the fact that practically all commercial DVDs have copyright protection incorporated (usually in the form of Macrovision) however this is easily capable of being overcome both in TV/recorder and also PC so that it doesn't really prevent the professional bootleggers from copying commercial discs.

            As far as home copying is concerned I have a vague recollection, I don't know if it was legislation or case law or what but it said that you could legally copy a commercial disc if it was for your own use and PROVIDED YOU RETAINED POSSESION OF THE ORIGINAL DISC. If you parted with the original then you had to destroy the copy. There was however nothing to stop the producer building in protection to prevent a copy being made if he so wished.

            There are always lots of talk going around about this copyright position in the UK in so far as it affects private individuals so I stand to be corrected on the foregoing statement which may not be correct.

            I believe in America much of the TV is now being coded which allows for a once only copy to be made to a hard drive with no ability to transfer to DVD. It is said the code cannot be broken. That is incorrect however since there is no computer code which cannot be broken if you are clever enough. Sooner or later some hacker will find a way to break the code.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by johng View Post

              Someone mentioned the fact that practically all commercial DVDs have copyright protection incorporated (usually in the form of Macrovision) however this is easily capable of being overcome both in TV/recorder and also PC so that it doesn't really prevent the professional bootleggers from copying commercial discs.


              Does anyone know if Sky have a copy protection on their download tv and movies? I know Virgin Media do,which is a bummer when storing up for later watching.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by johng View Post
                As far as home copying is concerned I have a vague recollection, I don't know if it was legislation or case law or what but it said that you could legally copy a commercial disc if it was for your own use and PROVIDED YOU RETAINED POSSESION OF THE ORIGINAL DISC. If you parted with the original then you had to destroy the copy.
                As far as I'm aware John (going back to my youthful years) it was OK to make a copy onto a blank tape of, for example a CD or vinyl LP, providing it was for your own use only and not in order to sell it. I don't know if the law is any different with regards to video or DVD.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Metro - I don't quite follow you. On Virgin whilst you cannot record Pay to View movies which is understandable, you can record everything else either as broadcast or from their Catch up TV. I would have thought that Sky was the same.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by johng View Post
                    Metro - I don't quite follow you. On Virgin whilst you cannot record Pay to View movies which is understandable, you can record everything else either as broadcast or from their Catch up TV. I would have thought that Sky was the same.
                    I tried to record some tv episodes from the catch up or on demand features but a message pops up to say " record blocking in process " something like that anyway, so I can not record them onto disc.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I recently tried to record a show from Sky Arts on catch up via my Virgin box - couldn't even do that !

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Don't follow. You could certainly record anything on Virgin a few weeks back since I did just that.

                        I will have a go this afternoon on a live broadcast and also on Catch Up and report back.

                        You could never record Pay to View movies but this is understandable since it would have defeated the whole point of paying in the first instance.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Further to the above, I have just tried to record snippets of various programmes firstly live as broadcast and then some more from Catch Up TV.

                          I recorded them on to a DVD-RW and had no trouble whatsoever.I got no messages saying that a recording could not be made. I checked up with a friend and he tells me that his Virgin box has a hard drive and he copies to that regularly. Whether they could then be transferred to a disc I would not know.

                          In short I can record to Disc anything I want from Virgin either live of from Catch Up - exception being Pay to View movies.

                          I am afraid it would need someone with more technical knowledge than me to sort out your problem.

                          Why not give Virgin a ring and let us know what they have to say?

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by johng View Post
                            Further to the above, I have just tried to record snippets of various programmes firstly live as broadcast and then some more from Catch Up TV.

                            I recorded them on to a DVD-RW and had no trouble whatsoever.I got no messages saying that a recording could not be made. I checked up with a friend and he tells me that his Virgin box has a hard drive and he copies to that regularly. Whether they could then be transferred to a disc I would not know.

                            In short I can record to Disc anything I want from Virgin either live of from Catch Up - exception being Pay to View movies.

                            I am afraid it would need someone with more technical knowledge than me to sort out your problem.

                            Why not give Virgin a ring and let us know what they have to say?
                            Try and copy onto a DVD-RW using the on demand feature (NOT the movies Just tv episodes) and I bet you can not? and error message will pop up and " record blocking in process " or something like that.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              I wish I could solve your problem however I am afraid you would have lost your bet!

                              I have just gone into "On Demand" and called up an episode of Sky Arts. I put a disc in and set the recorder to RECORD and let it run for about 5 minutes. No message of any kind. appeared.

                              Just to satisfy myself I switched OFF the Virgin box, I then pressed PLAY on the recorder and what I had recorded played back in the normal way.

                              I can assure you that I have no special equipment of any kind, just a Virgin Box connected to a DVD recorder which then goes to the TV.

                              Why you and others?? are having a problem I cannot say.

                              It would be interesting to know if others are having a similar problem since I can't possibly be the only one who can make recordings direct to disc.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by johng View Post
                                I can assure you that I have no special equipment of any kind, just a Virgin Box connected to a DVD recorder which then goes to the TV.
                                How is your Virgin box connected to your DVD recorder?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X