No announcement yet.

Which formats do you still own/Like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My present box was connected up by the Virgin engineer probably about 5 years ago.r.

The Virgin box is connected from a Scart OUT to the Scart IN socket on the DVD recorder which in turn is connected to the TV in the normal way.. There are other Outputs on the Virgin box but presumably the engineer used Scart because there was a Scart input socket on the recorder. I don't think that should however make any difference..

I wish I could help but I have just an ordinary set up and never gave the question of blocked recordings a thought until the matter cropped up on this thread.

There must be other members of this forum who are connected to Virgin and it would be enlightening if we could have their experience and whether or not they have any problems. Oddbodjunior also seems to have problems.

The recorder itself is now quite old since it just has an analogue tuner (I know that is irrelevant) but all I am trying to say is that I do not have any sort of fancy modern set up which might give a clue.

I am afraid I do not know the answer to this one since if I did I would be the first to help you .Maybe Virgin haven't yet got round to blocking things in this area yet!!

Interesting to see if we get any more responses to this thread..

Comment

Originally posted by johng View Post
      My present box was connected up by the Virgin engineer probably about 5 years ago.r.

The Virgin box is connected from a Scart OUT to the Scart IN socket on the DVD recorder which in turn is connected to the TV in the normal way.. There are other Outputs on the Virgin box but presumably the engineer used Scart because there was a Scart input socket on the recorder. I don't think that should however make any difference..

I wish I could help but I have just an ordinary set up and never gave the question of blocked recordings a thought until the matter cropped up on this thread.

There must be other members of this forum who are connected to Virgin and it would be enlightening if we could have their experience and whether or not they have any problems. Oddbodjunior also seems to have problems.

The recorder itself is now quite old since it just has an analogue tuner (I know that is irrelevant) but all I am trying to say is that I do not have any sort of fancy modern set up which might give a clue.

I am afraid I do not know the answer to this one since if I did I would be the first to help you .Maybe Virgin haven't yet got round to blocking things in this area yet!!

Interesting to see if we get any more responses to this thread..

I have been told by Virgin Media that all tivo boxes contain built in software that prevents copying from on demand service and catch up (unless this takes you to the BBC's iPlayer which is not part of Virgin Media ) so interesting that you can and others can not!!

So anyone else have that problem?

Comment

There is another anomaly. If you go to BBC iPlayer on a PC you can download to the HD and keep the programme for about 30 days but cannot transfer anything to a DVD.

If however you go to Catch UP TV on cable, If the programme is on a BBC channel up comes BBC iPlayer on the screen when you can record to a disc with no problems whatsoever.

Interesting to see if we get any more responses

Comment

Another thought. My Virgin box is probably older than a current TiVo and at that time the box may not have contained the appropriate software.

Comment

There is one other possibility for those of you able/unable to record from your Virgin boxes - is it recorded to disk in SD or HD?

DRM in the past had a block on HD content being recorded to disk on some PVR's, but the SD would record. Presumably, that was because if you were going to pirate a programme, HD would be worth doing, SD less so. And its also possible that, as has been suggested, older equipment might still allow output to external equipment, but newer equipment might not.

Comment

Another thought. My Virgin box is probably older than a current TiVo and at that time the box may not have contained the appropriate software.
              Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
              There is one other possibility for those of you able/unable to record from your Virgin boxes - is it recorded to disk in SD or HD?

DRM in the past had a block on HD content being recorded to disk on some PVR's, but the SD would record. Presumably, that was because if you were going to pirate a programme, HD would be worth doing, SD less so. And its also possible that, as has been suggested, older equipment might still allow output to external equipment, but newer equipment might not.
              I have an old and new one and both will not record in SD or HD..

Comment

Are you talking about recording to disc or to Hard Drive? Many of Virgins boxes now incorporate a Hard Drive and you can certainly record from live broadcasts to this since otherwise it would serve no purpose.. Now whether you can record from Catch Up or On Demand I wouldn't know and again I am not sure as to whether any recorded material can be dubbed on to a disc.

Whilst at one time one could record practically anything, times are changing and many systems now only allow recording to a hard drive with no facilities to transfer to disc.

I am at a loss to offer anyhelpful suggestions for the simple reason that I am having no problems.

Comment

Are you talking about recording to disc or to Hard Drive?.
                  To disc.

I have no problem recording onto the hard drive.

Comment

To disc.

I have no problem recording onto the hard drive.
                    Sounds like DRM, and although I'm sure a look around the web will find some sort of workaround, etc, the reality is that if the firmware wont let you output to another device, then thats pretty much it.

Comment

You are without correct re DRM however as far as outputs from the box are concerned then just put the DVD recorder between the box and the TV. That usually solves that problem.

Comment

You are without correct re DRM however as far as outputs from the box are concerned then just put the DVD recorder between the box and the TV. That usually solves that problem.
                        But that wouldn't solve a DRM problem. The Virgin (and I assume Sky box) are set up to be in essence closed systems, although it depends on which box you use (as these forums seem to suggest, a V+ box, a V+ HD ,a Tivo, etc all do different things in terms of DRM, etc - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...D/td-p/3373991 & http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...x/td-p/3310788).

But DRM is DRM - its to stop recording, not watching. The DVD recorder is just that, and therefore DRM would kick in, if the outputting Virgin box is equiped in that way whereas watching it on TV would not.

Comment

I accept that it would not solve a DRM problem. We are talking about recording to DISC rather to Hard Drive where there appears to be no problem.

The question which is puzzling is why some people can record nothing, others can do so on certain channels and for my part I can record on to disc from Virgin, live broadcasts, Catch Up TV or TV on Demand. The box I have is a Vbox HD. I have yet to be confronted with any message preventing me from recording to disc and I can therefore only go by personal experience. Standard set-up no fancy gadgets or software - wouldn't know what to do with them anyway!

Comment

We are talking about recording to DISC rather to Hard Drive where there appears to be no problem
                            I'm guessing that the confusion as to what and what is not possible might come from the various different boxes that are in circulation, what their firmware allows, and perhaps even if that firmware has been updated. Virgin have seemingly regularly changed their range of boxes throughout the years, which might do more in some cases, but also sometimes less. And its likely that not everyone has the same box, and therefore cannot all do the same thing. And your confusing the boxes hard drive, which will be recorded to as a standard feature, as opposed to an external output, like a disc recorder, which these days probably will not.

Virgin boxes are essentially receivers for Virgin cable - some have hard drives (which I assume are the bulk of them) as well.

In your case, you have a Vbox HD, which seemingly does allow you to output to an external source. But a quick search shows that the Vbox HD came out in 2010, which was the point that DRM was in force for HD generally in the UK, but seemingly OK for SD http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...nitials_d.html

So if your outputting to a disc recorder, then since its SD, it might work. HD, no.

But later boxes might not allow someone to output in either SD or HD. If your trying to record something to another machine, say a disc recorder or VHS (!), the machine has to communicate with it, and the Virgin box is likely programmed not to output that content, so that it cannot be recorded. In essence, its a sealed system.

Comment

Thank you for your very helpful explanation which I am sure will indicate to others that the position may vary over the country and depending on your box

From what I can see I should keep this box and not go over to a newer one with hard drive otherwise I am likely to lose my recording facility to an external source.

I am not really worried over HD - SD does me fine.

Thank you again for the explanation.

Comment

From what I can see I should keep this box and not go over to a newer one with hard drive otherwise I am likely to lose my recording facility to an external source.
                                I did find a Virgin media forum (which I might have linked to in a previous post) which pointed out that if you do upgrade, its possible to keep the older box as well, but you might possibly have to pay extra.

Comment

Working...
                                X