Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Problem with VLC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with VLC

A few days back I had to have a new new hard drive and operating system but into my MacBook Pro a computer I had successfully used VLC in for years. Now I find I can't get VLC to work. I put a dvd in and it gets VLC to activate but then I get this warning (see photo) which means nothing to me. I've also noticed that the dvd also shows up on the desktop and I'm pretty certain that didn't happen when things worked properly.

Have you tried manually opening the DVD from within VLC. It could be an association problem (i.e. which program is associated with which file extension)

Don't know about Apple but with Windows I've never trusted the file extension association facility which is supposed to automatically open a program and run when you connect an external device (incl. opening a CD/DVD)

Uninstall and re-install an earlier version ? (if that's possible with Apple)

Does it happen with all DVDs ? Does it happen with (music) CDs ?

Comment

Thanks for the input. However I don't know what 'manually opening the DVD from within VLC' means. Sorry.

I've tried several DVDs and none have worked. I've never attempted to play a CD on VCL so I can't answer that question.

Comment

Go to the File Menu at the top of the screen.
        Select Open Disc… and locate the DVD from the Open Source box that opens. The second tab is called Disc and should have a choice box below it to allow selection of the DVD.
        Click Open

and then see what happens. The latest version of VLC player is 3.0.4, Check your version number from the VLC menu at the top of the screen, select About VLC media player…. to find out which version you have installed. The second option on the VLC menu is Check for Update…

I rarely use VLC as I dislike watching films from a small screen and an uncomfortable chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
          I rarely use VLC as I dislike watching films from a small screen and an uncomfortable chair.

First rule when using a laptop or desktop computer Nick...get yourself a comfortable chair!

Comment

You could also try an earlier version - it may be that the version you installed is the latest version not compatible with your older Apple device.

Comment

Nick - I've been doing what you suggest for years and it has worked, but not now. When I get to the picture (below) and click on 'Open' I get the picture in my first post. I do have 3.0.4 installed. I will add that I need VLC is to make grabs so I can post them in the locations forum.

Arthur - I though that my older computer, made in 2011, was now 'new' or perhaps 'newer' now that a new hard drive and new operating system was put in on Monday.

Comment

I also have an early 2011 MacBookPro and it no longer supports the latest Mac OSX, Mohave. I did the check from my MacPro which is a bit younger at 2013 vintage.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
                  Nick - I've been doing what you suggest for years and it has worked, but not now. When I get to the picture (below) and click on 'Open' I get the picture in my first post. I do have 3.0.4 installed. I will add that I need VLC is to make grabs so I can post them in the locations forum.

Arthur - I though that my older computer, made in 2011, was now 'new' or perhaps 'newer' now that a new hard drive and new operating system was put in on Monday.
                  That picture seems to indicate the program is trying to open a disc folder (the equivalent of a disc stored on the HDD - a folder containing an (usually empty) AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS (which contains the video playback files *.VOB, *.IFO, etc)). What you need to open is the DVD drive where the DVD is (i.e. something like D:\ or E: etc, whatever drive letter is assigned to your DVD player. What options are presented on the pull-down menu where "VLC Media Player" is indicated ?

A new HDD wouldn't make the original architecture any newer. And those (older/original) system specifications + new (as in the very latest Apple) OS might not be compatible with/for the newest version of VLC. No harm in just trying an older version of VLC
                  Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 1st December 2018, 05:31 AM.

Comment

I'd just like to report that I had no idea of how to get VLC to work when on about the umpteenth time I put a disc in it worked. I'd done nothing to make it work. One lingering problem is that when I make grabs they go into some 'Pictures' folder while I'd prefer for them to go to the desktop, like they used to a few weeks ago. Any ideas of how to get them to go to the desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
                      I'd just like to report that I had no idea of how to get VLC to work when on about the umpteenth time I put a disc in it worked.
                      That suggests a problem with your computer OS settings about what to do with a DVD, not a problem with VLC

One lingering problem is that when I make grabs they go into some 'Pictures' folder while I'd prefer for them to go to the desktop, like they used to a few weeks ago. Any ideas of how to get them to go to the desktop?
                      Default directory for saving captures is the the VLC settings. Just change it to the target folder you want

Comment

Click on the VLC Menu (to the right of the Apple menu)
                        Choose Preferences…
                        Click on the Video tab
                        From the Video snapshots panel at the bottom of the page, choose where you want the screenshots to be stored. You can also choose their format from here: png, jpg or tiff. TIFF gives the best quality as its uncompressed, though it will depend on which image manipulation software you have on your MacBook as to which is best for you.

Nick

Comment

Arthur - As earlier reported discs are now playing so there appear to be no problems with OS settings, or if there every were any 'they solved themselves'. Nick - Many thanks for the step by step instructions and I now have my screen grabs going to the desktop. Anyway, thanks to both of you for your assistance.

Comment

Working...
                          X