No announcement yet.

Samsung tablet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have inserted the card.it shows as being there,but now what?

Comment

You have to transfer (copy) the multimedia files that you want to play/watch. You can do that by inserting the card in your computer or you can use the Bluetooth option to connect your computer to the tablet (transfer is a slow process for large files with this method).

computer > insert microSD card (may have to be inserted into a "carrier" card (standard size SD card, depends on your computer)
      video/audio/image files > transfer (copy) to SD card
      microSDcard >> tablet.

Also look at the settings in the tablet. They will include the option to save multimedia created on the tablet (photos, downloads, etc) to be saved to the SD card rather than to the device.

And the next step becomes you can now start to look at some of your DVDs to the tablet; convert the DVD to a video file, then transfer to the SD card .... next thing you know you'll need to go and buy another card, then another card, then another .... Let's know when you get to this stage if you want some help.

Comment

THanks for the advice

Comment

So far I haven't been able to transfer anything to the SD card.The storage is now 99%used and email function has stopped working.I tried to contact customer service on 4 occasions. They were useless.
          I have bought a new kindle and this will end up in the loft.
          The simple moral is don't buy a Samsung tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
            The simple moral is don't buy a Samsung tablet.
            I really can't agree with your conclusions. I've had 5 Samsung devices over time (tablets and smart phones) and they've been faultless.

So far I haven't been able to transfer anything to the SD card.The storage is now 99%used and email function has stopped working.
            I'm still concerned that you're confusing data usage (99%) with storage space, I can't possibly see how the 32GB card can be full if you haven't transferred anything to it. Email stopping working can be any number of faults, not the least being that you've used 99% of your data allowance so there's no longer any connection to your ISP. Alternatively, if it is 99% of storage, there are other (unnecessary) installations on your device that are taking up space prohibiting your email from downloading (What are your email settings? Have you got it set to store emails on your device rather than keep them on the mail server?)

Did you format the card before inserting it? Did you format it to FAT32 or NTFS (whichever one, try re-formatting to the other)? How were you trying to copy files?

Every one of your criticisms are answerable and solvable. I would not like to think any one else would be put off Samsung devices because of this one (in)experience.

Sorry, but I have strong feelings on this. There is an expected learning curve when handling unfamiliar hardware (and software), and sometimes there is a need to resort to "external" hands-on assistance and advice. It's often difficult responding to situations, in a forum like this or by a phone call to a support service, often staffed by non-tech people who simply resort to an answer sheet that takes no considering of individual circumstances. (Very anti-call-centre support, me!)

Good luck with your endeavours.

Comment

• Bonekicker
              Bonekicker commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed - my Samsung equipment works fine, including my tablet. And I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Frankly, this isnt a problem with the equipment - its the fact that the internal memory has been entirely filled, but nothing has been removed from it.

Orpheum - you need to take this to someone who knows what they are doing. You havnt tried to unclutter the internal memory, but just added something, but done nothing with it.

And buying a Kindle is just doing the same thing again. A Kindle is an Android tablet, in the same way that the Samsung is. If you do exactly the same thing, the same thing will happen again.

Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post

I'm still concerned that you're confusing data usage (99%) with storage space...

...sometimes there is a need to resort to "external" hands-on assistance and advice.
            Agreed on both points, but I fear that the dead horse has been flogged for long enough.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.New Kindle awaited and then this will be consigned to a draw

Comment

Thanks for the advice.New Kindle awaited and then this will be consigned to a draw
                Which model were you considering? I really need to replace my elderly Sony Experia when finances allow.

Comment

I am getting the Fire 7 with 32Gb storage which came out last month.
                  This Samsung only has 8gb. It has caused me endless problems

Comment

Of course it will when you're trying to do what you've outlined. A tablet that size is simply, as i said earlier, a hand-held multimedia player, not designed (or intended) to be loaded up with apps and emails and .... whatever.

And the multimedia is intended to be held on microSD cards - that's why Samsung provide that facility, and Apple don't.

If you'd've got the Samsung 32GB .....

Comment

• orpheum
                      orpheum commented
                      Editing a comment
                      But I haven't loaded it with any apps and emails delete after 7 days

• arthur linden-jones
                      Editing a comment
                      "Emails delete after 7 days" ... from the server or from the tablet. I suspect that it's an old POP style email account (is it?) set to delete the emails off the server after 7 days ... if that's the case, they stay on the receiving device until deleted manually by the user. In this case, there is no synching between the mail server and the receiving device, consequently they build up on the receiving device. How old is the oldest email on the tablet?

Emails can be a vicious space grabber on tablets, a couple of emails with multimedia attachments and the storage space is soon gobbled up. Not an uncommon problem.
                      Last edited by arthur linden-jones; 13th July 2019, 09:45 PM.

• Bonekicker
                      Bonekicker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      System files still take up memory - looking at my Tab A, of the 32gb internal memory, about 16 has been used, pretty much all on apps or on the system itself.

You have preloaded apps, and crud builds up in terms of temp files, etc, and they need to be cleared out. 8gb is fine for a tablet as long as you dont load anything much into the memory. As Arthur says, thats why it has a micro SD card slot - so that you can extend the memory much further. Even though I have a 32gb version, thats theoretically just enough to fit my music on it, but the 128gb memory put in as well means its barely touches the sides.

I am getting the Fire 7 with 32Gb storage which came out last month.
                    I'd find the 7 inch screen a bit small for my uses. I'll consider the 10 inch version though.

Comment

• Bonekicker
                      Bonekicker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The Samung Tab A is only abiut £20 more on Amazon than the Fire 10in, both with 32gb.

Remember that Amazon sell their equipment on the Gillette principle- the equipment itself is attactively priced, but in return , they make it far easier to use Amazon products and services than anyone elses.

Both are Android tablets, but its far far easier to load apps from the Google Play store on the Samsung (or other brands) than it is on Amazons system.

I have Kindle, Amazon Music and Prime, plus Alexa on my tablet and we have them on our phones. But we are not bound to have just Amazons Silk browser, etc. The extra cost is, for us, outweighed by the relative freedom of using a more general version of Android.

Not quite relevant but need help in a rather similar situation. My Audiobooks Manager library book list has gone red and I cant play anything unless I download them again from the online library. Then I can play them on my PC but I want to transfer them to the SD card on my Lenovo. The books transfer but wont play. However I can tranfer and play music files with no problem. Any ideas please?

Comment

Working...
                    X