Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me with a tv connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me with a tv connection?

Hello, I bought a Humax HDR-1800T HD digital recorder today and I can't seem to get my Sky box to connect, I have found the Freeview channels okay but the Sky is nowhere to be found. My tv has two HDMI connections and an analog aerial plus one scart yet I can't get a picture for the sky channel. The Humak box has one Hd connection and twin analog ports and one scart can anyone help me?

Why not phone Sky for advice.

Comment

You could try asking the question on AVForums.

https://www.avforums.com/forums/

Comment

The first question to ask is - why are you trying to connect a Sky box to a Freeview HD recorder? The recorder is only that - its not designed to record from a Sky box, or pass through the signal from it.

Think of them as seperate boxea which both connect to your TV. If your Sky box records, then it will do so fro a dish, whilst the Humax will do so via an aerial. In the old days people bought DVD recorders to connect via scart from the back of their Sky boxes because about eight or nine years ago, a Sky box would allow you to essentially offload a programme onto the other DVD recorreer and save it. However, Unless you have a very old Sky box, and are willing to record things via a Scart to SD, there isnt much point, and anyway, Sky boxes te d not to have that function, and niether will the Humax.

Hook up the Humax as follows - take the aerial feed from the wall, and then into the back of the Humax. There should be an out aerial fitting on the back of it, and connect with an aerial lead to the aerial port on the TV. This is called looping through, and will allow both the recorder and the TV to get a feed fro the aerial. Remember to change the settings on the Humax to allow the signal to pass through the Humax even when its on standby (dont switch it off, its fine on standby and will get updates at odd times).

Then get the HDMI cable and connect up the Humax and the TV - put it in the first HDMi port if its going to be the main box used, or if its the case that your Tv lacks an HD tuner - your going to be using it for that as well.

If your Sky box has an HDMi on the back, do the same thing with that - in thr other HDMi port. If you need another HDMI port for a blu ray, firestickl etc, get a switchable Hdmi port- mine cost about 10 quid on Amazon, and you can put up to three devices into one pist that
        If its only got a scart, then use that. Your only going to get SD from it, but there there you are.
        turn on the TV. If either a box is powered up, it will go to that. It depends on how old the TV is as what connection it wooupd pick first. 10 years ago, they often went to the scart first, after the internal tuner, but gradually it became hdmi 1 first, then 2, etc.

if both devices are powered up, then you can just toggle between the internal tuner (fine if its HD, but if its SD then just use the Humax, its got two), then the Humax, then the Sky box uaing the input button on your tv remote, and you just cycle through them.

ulti,ately, as I said, they are just different boxes connected to your tv - you can have freeview, sky, virgin, freeview via box, freesat and the internet all via the same tv, and all you need to do if have enough ports to connect them all.

Hope that helps

Comment

[QUOTE=Bonekicker;n80110]In the old days people bought DVD recorders to connect via scart from the back of their Sky boxes because about eight or nine years ago, a Sky box would allow you to essentially offload a programme onto the other DVD recorder and save it. However, Unless you have a very old Sky box, and are willing to record things via a Scart to SD, there isnt much point,

/QUOTE]

Nowadays channels broadcast in HD now so the quality is far better than SD.

Comment

Local BBC channels broadcast in SD, although they use HD cameras, simply because there isnt the capacity on Freeview to do it, but yeah, its much better. But we tend to automatically press 1 rather than 101, so there you are.

When it comes to the difference between SD and HD, the difference is very clear!

Remember that however good the broadcast quality is, you are still limited by the resolution of the screen you are using, and the capacity of what you are using to get it onto your screen - scart is analogue and will only ever be SD. There was a customer last year who had someone sort of Sky Eye his house. Sounds OK, but it just meant the guy was watching Sky in SD, whereas if they had Sky Multiroom or now Sky Q, then it would be in HD, or even possibly 4K for Q. The pipe is important.

Comment

First of all a little background info, my older sister recently became confined to the upstairs floor and she likes to record an odd programme for later, she had a Swisstec HDD recorder that she sworn by however it has refused to switch to the HDD part and the DVD recorder will not work. So I was only trying to replace her equipment for ease of use, she has a year old smart tv at the moment. Secondly I found out through the Argos site that Humax is not compatible with Sky so I brought it back and on the suggestion of a Sky representative I bought a second hand HD Sky plus box and just fitted that on to the single feed multiroom and it works fine. So thank you all especially Bonekicker for such a detailed reply which I did try but still found trouble getting a signal from either one or the other, I never thought of the HD splitter, thank you all again. Personally whatever happened to just opening a box and away you go?
              Last edited by tv horror; 11th November 2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X