Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Broadband speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband speed

I've just switched from Sky to Virgin and part of the deal was faster broadband. It got installed yesterday and last night I was trying to find out what sort of speed I was getting.

I did four tests, one after the other, on different websites. The results were download speeds of 8Mbps in the first test, 26 in the second, then 44 and then 58.

So two questions:
    1) Why such a huge variance in the four tests?
    2) Which one, if any, do I believe?

BF

Originally posted by Big Figure View Post
    I've just switched from Sky to Virgin and part of the deal was faster broadband. It got installed yesterday and last night I was trying to find out what sort of speed I was getting.

I did four tests, one after the other, on different websites. The results were download speeds of 8Mbps in the first test, 26 in the second, then 44 and then 58.

So two questions:
    1) Why such a huge variance in the four tests?
    2) Which one, if any, do I believe?

BF
    There's a huge variation because broadband speed varies a LOT depending on what usage other people in your area are doing. It's a shared connection, shared between you and your neighbours
    Try meausuring it late at night and early in the morning when it's less likely that others in your area will be using it

Test it just after rebooting your system & restarting the broadband modem

They only advertise the speed as "Up To" 100 (or whatever) Mbps
    1 Mbps is part of "up to 100 Mbps"

I use http://www.speedtest.net/ as my speed test.
    I'm on Virgin and I get a regular 155 Mbps here in SW London

Steve

Comment

I'm on Virgin, and I'm getting 77mps as standard, looking at the speed test I've just done. Think how close you are to your fibre cabinet/exchange as well - mines about 60 paces away. And all my neighbours are retired, so they are not probably downloading vast amounts of data.

Comment

Working...
      X