Summertime (1955)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summertime (1955)

Just a heads up for Criterion's new Blu-ray version of David Lean's Summertime. It is available as a UK release. It is presented in 1.37:1 not 1.85:1 which some people think is the correct ratio. Personally I think 1.37:1 seems just right and the colours are utterly gorgeous. I've never seen this picture look so good.

I remember this film. I saw it as young lad. Rossano Brazzi and Katharine Hepburn were the actor’s.
    From your description, it appears the DVD, Blu-ray remastered for the Blu-ray and DVD releases. Hopefully it will be available on the 4K disc. Criterion’s releases usually are remastered.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianTurner View Post
      Just a heads up for Criterion's new Blu-ray version of David Lean's Summertime. It is available as a UK release. It is presented in 1.37:1 not 1.85:1 which some people think is the correct ratio. Personally I think 1.37:1 seems just right and the colours are utterly gorgeous. I've never seen this picture look so good.
      By 1955 virtually all cinemas (certainly circuit ones) had been equipped for CinemaScope which also meant screens with variable side masking which was set at 1.75:1 for non-scope films. That's the way the film would have been presented. The title, of course, was Summer Madness in the UK.

Comment

It certainly wouldn't have been projected at 1.37:1 in British cinemas in 1955.

An interesting discussion on the subject here: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/boa...threadID=89671

Comment

It frames perfectly at 1.75:1, which is how most U.K. cinemas would have shown it.

I like the film for the superb views of Venice but not for much else!

Comment

Working...
          X