Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Melody (1971)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melody (1971)

To be released in the UK, see: http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/search.asp...7&title=Melody. I'm sure Darrenburnfan would be interested.

That's wonderful news! Would love to see that again. Love the soundtrack

Comment

I Remember seeing this when i was about 12 years old' the music made quite an impression on me' especially the Bee Gee's "First of May" which i had never heard before' I particularly remember that scene with the two young lovers sitting in the Cemetery on a Sunny day' If memory serves the Film was originally named SWALK (sealed with a loving kiss) and later changed for the American market ?

Comment

It was indeed originally released as S.W.A.L.K. and, without looking in my programme records, I seem to recall showing it under that title in 1972. I've no idea when the title was changed to Melody, but that's the title on the DVD I have of it. However, as I don't have a BluRay player and have no plans to buy one, I won't be upgrading to the new disc.

Comment

I've never seen this film but it's been on my radar for a while. Look forward to getting hold of a copy, or more likely watching a downloaded copy on You Tube!

Comment

For quick reference, ABC Film Review of June 1971 picture previews the film under the title Melody and that is the title I have it recorded in my written-at-the-time film diary for its brand-new release at the Rialto (off Piccadilly Circus) London on 8 April 1971. It lasted only two weeks as a stand-alone showing at the Rialto but had a North London ABC General Release from Sunday 25 July. Dunno what the support film was until I can find the respective cutting folder, but it was a British Lion release.

Comment

No sign of it being shown as Melody in Stoke on Trent. It would have been booked into the ABC, Hanley, but they were busy at the time showing films such as Kelly's Heroes and On The Buses for weeks on end. By the time I ran it on Thursday, August 3rd, 1972, the title had been changed to S.W.A.L.K. and it was supported by Anthony Quinn and Shelley Winters in The Last Warrior. I had heard that the reason for the title change was because audiences were going to see Melody thinking that it was a musical and it wasn't.

Comment

I actually went to the school it was filmed at. I had the same uniform and everything Archbishop Temples in Lambeth back in 1973!

Comment

Thanks for the link. I have it in my .avi collection but the quality is poor. Looking forward to getting a good version of this excellent film.

Comment

I just warched it again, after seeing it for the only previous time when it was released.
                    Maybe its my galloping old age, but I found the sountrack irritating & the screaming schoolkids doubly so.
                    Some things should be left in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by wheelieman View Post
                      Thanks for the link. I have it in my .avi collection but the quality is poor. Looking forward to getting a good version of this excellent film.
                      I just got hold af an MKV version if this. Much better quailty than the AVI I had before. Never heard of MKVs 'til recently I've been out of circulation), but they seem a big step forward,

Comment

Working...
                      X