Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

Recently saw this in a restored version (along with Demons of the Mind) at Frightfest. Hadn't seen it in ages and had forgotten how good it is. It looks great and James Villiers is superb. Coming to blu-ray next month.

A rare lead for Valerie Leon, who is fantastic *sigh* . Have this on DVD.

Comment

With Valerie in the lead (twice over), just as well the film's not in 3D.

Comment

Seth Holt's last film. He died just before it was completed.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post
          Seth Holt's last film. He died just before it was completed.
          Coincidentally I've just been watching his last completed film, Danger Route and it's sadly a bit of a muddle.

Comment

Sadly he was an alchoholic.There is a short bio about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
              Recently saw this in a restored version (along with Demons of the Mind) at Frightfest. Hadn't seen it in ages and had forgotten how good it is. It looks great and James Villiers is superb. Coming to blu-ray next month.
              Some other Blu-ray releases of Hammer Films by Studio Canal (release dates stated on Amazon):

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb: 30 October
              Horror Of Frankenstein (Ralph Bates, Dennis Price): 29 January 2018
              To The Devil A Daughter (Christopher Lee): 29 January 2018
              Fear In The Night (Joan Collins): 30 October
              Straight On Till Morning (Rita Tushingham, James Bolam): 29 January 2018
              Demons Of The Mind (Paul Jones, Patrick Magee, Robert Hardy): 30 October
              Scars Of Dracula (Christopher Lee): 30 October
              Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (Ralph Bates): 29 January 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post

Some other Blu-ray releases of Hammer Films by Studio Canal (release dates stated on Amazon):

Blood From The Mummy's Tomb: 30 October
                Horror Of Frankenstein (Ralph Bates, Dennis Price): 29 January 2018
                To The Devil A Daughter (Christopher Lee): 29 January 2018
                Fear In The Night (Joan Collins): 30 October
                Straight On Till Morning (Rita Tushingham, James Bolam): 29 January 2018
                Demons Of The Mind (Paul Jones, Patrick Magee, Robert Hardy): 30 October
                Scars Of Dracula (Christopher Lee): 30 October
                Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (Ralph Bates): 29 January 2018
                It's not one of Hammer's best, I know, but it'd be nice if The Satanic Rites of Dracula could be released on bluray as available releases are of pretty horrible quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

It's not one of Hammer's best, I know, but it'd be nice if The Satanic Rites of Dracula could be released on bluray as available releases are of pretty horrible quality.
                  Agreed Gerald, it would have been nice to have this title included. Lets hope this latest batch of new releases don't have similar audio issues which some of Studio Canal's earlier releases appeared to have.

Regarding the bad quality of the available releases of The Satanic Rites of Dracula, that's sadly the case with some films. I bought a copy a while back of House of the Long Shadows (Peter Cushing, Vincent Price) which was a German edition as there currently is no UK Blu-ray release. The picture was dreadful.

Another gripe I have is when British films have a Blu-ray release in the States (region A), but not here in the UK (region B). Fine if you have a multi-region player, but not so if you don't.

Comment

• agutterfan
                    agutterfan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As far as I know there are no multi-region BluRay players (if there are please tell me which models). I have a multi-region combi DVD/Blu Ray player but the multi-region only works for DVDs, not Blu Rays. And I agree with you, annoying when that happens, normally though it's due to distribution rights.

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

And uncut too as most releases (I believe) are cut!!

"The original UK cinema print was cut by the BBFC to heavily edit the opening sacrifice scene, 2 staking scenes and the electrocution of a guard (the proposed cuts to the shooting of Torrence were never made). For the video release the same cut print was submitted and cut by a further 1 sec to remove a shot of Jane's exposed breast being pierced with a stake"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070634/...f_=tt_ql_trv_5

Comment

• agutterfan
                    agutterfan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The US DVD of Satanic Rites is uncut, but horrible picture quality (mainly the NTSC color - yuk!).

The USA version, retitled _Count Dracula and his vampire bride (1973)_, removes 4 minutes of footage from original UK release.
                  Some US releases have a new, computer-generated title card that reads "The Rites of Dracula".

Comment

Agutterfan - I'm no expert, but I imagine these Blu-ray players would have to be modified by someone in order for them to become multi-region. Amazon have some advertised by various manufacturers and state they play Blu-ray discs from all regions (A, B, and C) and the same with the various zones for DVD's:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/multi-regio...u-ray%20player

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post
                      Agutterfan - I'm no expert, but I imagine these Blu-ray players would have to be modified by someone in order for them to become multi-region. Amazon have some advertised by various manufacturers and state they play Blu-ray discs from all regions (A, B, and C) and the same with the various zones for DVD's:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/multi-regio...u-ray%20player
                      I’ve had a multi-region DVD/Blu-Ray player for ages. A Technika BRSS10 bought from Tesco. I wouldn’t buy any player that only plays disks from a single region. It is set as multi-region with a few commands on the remote

I always think that any region controls go against the idea of free trade. Why shouldn’t I be able to buy & play disks from any country or area?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                        I always think that any region controls go against the idea of free trade. Why shouldn’t I be able to buy & play disks from any country or area?
                        I couldn't agree more with you Steve. To be fair, many Warner Bros and Universal blu-ray's are region-free but other studios seem keen to continue region locking their releases. I realise there are distribution rights, but in the case of Hammer films as an example, I just find it totally bizarre that I have to shop in the States to buy a British film which isn't available for purchase here in the very country that made that film. You'd think a UK distributor would be able to release those titles at the same time as the US distributor does.

In the case of multi-region players, if I recall correctly, the region setting could be altered on some machines by entering a code via the remote control, whereas others needed to be 'chipped'. If a player can be bought already capable of playing from any region, then that's a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                        X