Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Blood from the Mummy's Tomb (1971)

    Recently saw this in a restored version (along with Demons of the Mind) at Frightfest. Hadn't seen it in ages and had forgotten how good it is. It looks great and James Villiers is superb. Coming to blu-ray next month.

  • #2
    A rare lead for Valerie Leon, who is fantastic *sigh* . Have this on DVD.

    Comment


    • #3
      With Valerie in the lead (twice over), just as well the film's not in 3D.

      Comment


      • #4
        Seth Holt's last film. He died just before it was completed.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cassidy View Post
          Seth Holt's last film. He died just before it was completed.
          Coincidentally I've just been watching his last completed film, Danger Route and it's sadly a bit of a muddle.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sadly he was an alchoholic.There is a short bio about him.

            Comment


            • alexkevin
              alexkevin commented
              Editing a comment
              why are saying that sadly he was an alcoholic, don't you drink, okay fine if not regularly than at least occasionally?

            • Edward G
              Edward G commented
              Editing a comment
              Alexkevin, since alcoholism is destructive to the sufferer and those around them and has ruined the lives of so many people I think the word "sadly" makes perfect sense in Orpheum's post. You seem to be suggesting that Orpheum is anti-drinking, which was not implied. He only offers sympathy for anyone, like the aforementioned Seth Holt, completely in the grip of alcohol....

          • #7
            Originally posted by Moon View Post
            Recently saw this in a restored version (along with Demons of the Mind) at Frightfest. Hadn't seen it in ages and had forgotten how good it is. It looks great and James Villiers is superb. Coming to blu-ray next month.
            Some other Blu-ray releases of Hammer Films by Studio Canal (release dates stated on Amazon):

            Blood From The Mummy's Tomb: 30 October
            Horror Of Frankenstein (Ralph Bates, Dennis Price): 29 January 2018
            To The Devil A Daughter (Christopher Lee): 29 January 2018
            Fear In The Night (Joan Collins): 30 October
            Straight On Till Morning (Rita Tushingham, James Bolam): 29 January 2018
            Demons Of The Mind (Paul Jones, Patrick Magee, Robert Hardy): 30 October
            Scars Of Dracula (Christopher Lee): 30 October
            Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (Ralph Bates): 29 January 2018

            Comment


            • #8
              Originally posted by Carl V View Post

              Some other Blu-ray releases of Hammer Films by Studio Canal (release dates stated on Amazon):

              Blood From The Mummy's Tomb: 30 October
              Horror Of Frankenstein (Ralph Bates, Dennis Price): 29 January 2018
              To The Devil A Daughter (Christopher Lee): 29 January 2018
              Fear In The Night (Joan Collins): 30 October
              Straight On Till Morning (Rita Tushingham, James Bolam): 29 January 2018
              Demons Of The Mind (Paul Jones, Patrick Magee, Robert Hardy): 30 October
              Scars Of Dracula (Christopher Lee): 30 October
              Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde (Ralph Bates): 29 January 2018
              It's not one of Hammer's best, I know, but it'd be nice if The Satanic Rites of Dracula could be released on bluray as available releases are of pretty horrible quality.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

                It's not one of Hammer's best, I know, but it'd be nice if The Satanic Rites of Dracula could be released on bluray as available releases are of pretty horrible quality.
                Agreed Gerald, it would have been nice to have this title included. Lets hope this latest batch of new releases don't have similar audio issues which some of Studio Canal's earlier releases appeared to have.

                Regarding the bad quality of the available releases of The Satanic Rites of Dracula, that's sadly the case with some films. I bought a copy a while back of House of the Long Shadows (Peter Cushing, Vincent Price) which was a German edition as there currently is no UK Blu-ray release. The picture was dreadful.

                Another gripe I have is when British films have a Blu-ray release in the States (region A), but not here in the UK (region B). Fine if you have a multi-region player, but not so if you don't.

                Comment


                • agutterfan
                  agutterfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As far as I know there are no multi-region BluRay players (if there are please tell me which models). I have a multi-region combi DVD/Blu Ray player but the multi-region only works for DVDs, not Blu Rays. And I agree with you, annoying when that happens, normally though it's due to distribution rights.

                • Toscana
                  Toscana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Type in Sony Blu-Ray multi-region DVD player for sale in UK and loads come up on Google. Apart from one for over £700 most are well under £100 and some even below £50.

              • #10
                Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

                It's not one of Hammer's best, I know, but it'd be nice if The Satanic Rites of Dracula could be released on bluray as available releases are of pretty horrible quality.
                And uncut too as most releases (I believe) are cut!!

                "The original UK cinema print was cut by the BBFC to heavily edit the opening sacrifice scene, 2 staking scenes and the electrocution of a guard (the proposed cuts to the shooting of Torrence were never made). For the video release the same cut print was submitted and cut by a further 1 sec to remove a shot of Jane's exposed breast being pierced with a stake"

                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070634/...f_=tt_ql_trv_5

                Comment


                • agutterfan
                  agutterfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The US DVD of Satanic Rites is uncut, but horrible picture quality (mainly the NTSC color - yuk!).

              • #11
                The USA version, retitled _Count Dracula and his vampire bride (1973)_, removes 4 minutes of footage from original UK release.
                Some US releases have a new, computer-generated title card that reads "The Rites of Dracula".

                Comment


                • #12
                  Agutterfan - I'm no expert, but I imagine these Blu-ray players would have to be modified by someone in order for them to become multi-region. Amazon have some advertised by various manufacturers and state they play Blu-ray discs from all regions (A, B, and C) and the same with the various zones for DVD's:

                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/multi-regio...u-ray%20player

                  Comment


                  • #13
                    Originally posted by Carl V View Post
                    Agutterfan - I'm no expert, but I imagine these Blu-ray players would have to be modified by someone in order for them to become multi-region. Amazon have some advertised by various manufacturers and state they play Blu-ray discs from all regions (A, B, and C) and the same with the various zones for DVD's:

                    https://www.amazon.co.uk/multi-regio...u-ray%20player
                    I’ve had a multi-region DVD/Blu-Ray player for ages. A Technika BRSS10 bought from Tesco. I wouldn’t buy any player that only plays disks from a single region. It is set as multi-region with a few commands on the remote

                    I always think that any region controls go against the idea of free trade. Why shouldn’t I be able to buy & play disks from any country or area?

                    Steve

                    Comment


                    • #14
                      Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                      I always think that any region controls go against the idea of free trade. Why shouldn’t I be able to buy & play disks from any country or area?
                      I couldn't agree more with you Steve. To be fair, many Warner Bros and Universal blu-ray's are region-free but other studios seem keen to continue region locking their releases. I realise there are distribution rights, but in the case of Hammer films as an example, I just find it totally bizarre that I have to shop in the States to buy a British film which isn't available for purchase here in the very country that made that film. You'd think a UK distributor would be able to release those titles at the same time as the US distributor does.

                      In the case of multi-region players, if I recall correctly, the region setting could be altered on some machines by entering a code via the remote control, whereas others needed to be 'chipped'. If a player can be bought already capable of playing from any region, then that's a good thing.

                      Comment


                      • #15
                        Re Satanic rights of Dracula. Not to be forgotten was the complete and excellent Roan Widescreen Laserdisc release some years ago which is the cleanest version even yet.

                        Nice to see Scars of Dracula is getting a BR release long overdue. :-)

                        If it helps region free Blu-Ray players are chipped and you can change regions by pressing numbers on the remote. 1=A 2=B 3=C etc Happy viewing!
                        Last edited by Mancunian Films; 24th January 2018, 01:46 PM.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X