Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Are there any Steelbook Collectors here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any Steelbook Collectors here!

Hi all, my first post here. I was wondering if anyone here collects Steelbooks. I have been collecting for 5 years now. I started off with DVDs then Blu-rays then I got caught up collecting Steelbooks for my favourite movies. I have bought doubles for my favourites but try not to do that too much as it’s too expensive! Lol. For anyone not familiar there is a website called Steelbook.com where you can see images and info on the various Steelbooks. You can see the new Kingsman film one here.

http://steelbook.com/releases/kingsm...golden-circle/

I haven’t seen the movie yet but I did enjoy the first one!

I do have some Steelbooks (blu-rays), but I don't actually collect them. They are nice items undoubtedly, but for me the asking prices of some titles just aren't worth it - however I can understand why a collector would want them. My latest one was a film called Black Sunday - a horror film made in the 60's by Italian director Mario Bava. Fortunately for me, it was a present from a kind relative.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl V View Post
      I do have some Steelbooks (blu-rays), but I don't actually collect them. They are nice items undoubtedly, but for me the asking prices of some titles just aren't worth it - however I can understand why a collector would want them. My latest one was a film called Black Sunday - a horror film made in the 60's by Italian director Mario Bava. Fortunately for me, it was a present from a kind relative.
      They can be quite expensive, I think once you start collecting them it’s easy to get carried away though! I wouldn’t buy them for all films, it would be way too expensive! Black Sunday is a nice Steelbook, I got the standard Slipbox version so I didn’t upgrade but it has very cool artwork. I really enjoyed the film, I do like classic Italian horrors. I’m a big fan of Dario Argento movies! I also like Lucio Fulci and I have seen a few Mario Bava films aswell. I like pretty much any kind of horror!

Comment

Originally posted by Simong View Post
        I really enjoyed the film, I do like classic Italian horrors. I’m a big fan of Dario Argento movies! I also like Lucio Fulci and I have seen a few Mario Bava films aswell. I like pretty much any kind of horror!
        Yes, I also like the classic Italian "giallo" horror films and have lately being buying several titles on blu-ray from Arrow Video - not the Steelbooks, I should add. Arrow have quite a number of titles to choose from and the films I've bought so far all have excellent transfers considering they date from the 60's right up to the early 80's. And on top of that, some decent extras and commentaries too.....you can't go wrong.

Comment

Yes, I also like the classic Italian "giallo" horror films and have lately being buying several titles on blu-ray from Arrow Video - not the Steelbooks, I should add. Arrow have quite a number of titles to choose from and the films I've bought so far all have excellent transfers considering they date from the 60's right up to the early 80's. And on top of that, some decent extras and commentaries too.....you can't go wrong.
          I’m a big Arrow fan myself, they really put a lot of effort into their releases! They always do a good job finding extras and there transfers are usually top notch. A lot of the films are older so they don’t look perfect but it’s just good to see a lot of them on Blu-ray.
          I buy Steelbooks if they are available but I buy a lot of the standard Amaray Arrow releases aswell. The reversible sleeves and booklets are a nice touch. I’m a big Giallo fan also, Argento is my favourite Italian Director. Suspiria, Deep Red and and Phenomena are all great movies!

Comment

Originally posted by Simong View Post
            I’m a big Giallo fan also, Argento is my favourite Italian Director. Suspiria, Deep Red and and Phenomena are all great movies!
            Yes, I totally agree - Suspiria and Deep Red are without doubt great films. Strangely, I haven't seen Phenomena but Arrow are releasing it on blu-ray early in January, so that's a definite order. The same goes for The Cat O'Nine Tails and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage which are due for release from Arrow in January and February respectively.

I've already pre-ordered Mario Bava's film Black Sabbath (with Boris Karloff) which is coming out this Monday (18 Dec).

I have 3 Arrow titles on their way to me - Baron Blood, Five Dolls for an August Moon (both Mario Bava), and Don't Torture a Duckling (Lucio Fulci). I look forward to receiving these any day now.

Comment

Yes, I totally agree - Suspiria and Deep Red are without doubt great films. Strangely, I haven't seen Phenomena but Arrow are releasing it on blu-ray early in January, so that's a definite order. The same goes for The Cat O'Nine Tails and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage which are due for release from Arrow in January and February respectively.

I've already pre-ordered Mario Bava's film Black Sabbath (with Boris Karloff) which is coming out this Monday (18 Dec).

I have 3 Arrow titles on their way to me - Baron Blood, Five Dolls for an August Moon (both Mario Bava), and Don't Torture a Duckling (Lucio Fulci). I look forward to receiving these any day now.

i would definatly reccomend Phenomena, it’s not a Giallo, it’s more of a standard horror. It has a great soundtrack and is definatly worth a watch if you like Argento’s other films!
              Cat O Nine Tails and The Bird With the Crystal Plummage are both very good. I did prefer The Bird out of the two though. I believe this was Argento’s first ever film and it’s a really good Giallo. You should enjoy both though!

im not as well up with Mario Bava films, I have seen Black Sabbath but not Five Dolls or Baron Blood. I do need to check them out at some point! I liked Don’t torture a Duckling. I have to say I think it has been slightly overrated by some though. They say it’s one of the best Giallo’s ever made but I don’t rate it that highly. It’s very good but I wouldn’t put it in the same bracket as Argento’s best.

Comment

I gather Arrow's release of Baron Blood has 3 versions of the film - the Italian release, the British release and thirdly a European version (I think that's what they called it from memory) with English dialogue. I'm certainly looking forward to watching the films I'm waiting for, plus the ones coming out early in the New Year which I'll be ordering nearer the time.

To be honest, I only discovered Black Sabbath whilst I was searching for another Boris Karloff film on Amazon, and this title showed up amongst others by the same actor. It came as a pleasant surprise as I do like Karloff as well.

88 Films is another video company which has lots of Italian horror titles on blu-ray too. Definitely worth taking a look if you haven't already done so.

Comment

Simong and Carl V,
                  I am also a collector of steelbooks and special edition box sets - particularly the Arrow sets and the Dario Argento ones in particular.
                  Keeping it Britmovie-centric, below is a great front and back view of the fabulous artwork on some recent acquisitions ,"Quatermass And The Pit" as well "The Wolf Man"(USA) and "Suspiria"(Italian).
                  I tend to pre-order to get a decent price and before resellers inflate the price, based on these editions selling out.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Edward G; 17th December 2017, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks Edward for sharing those images. The artwork is brilliant, no doubt whatsoever about that.

Comment

Thanks Edward for sharing those images. The artwork is brilliant, no doubt whatsoever about that.
                      Cheers Carl V,
                      I have to cherish the movie to purchase, but the artwork and case finish is a strong selling point. I love the fact that there is minimal text and no bar code as well.

Comment

I have a few stellbook blue ray editions. I do not go out of my way to purchase them. Only, when they are on sale. Except for the steebook case, thier is not to much difference then the regular blue DVD editions.
                        Last edited by Eric7885; 2nd January 2018, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Can't really see the appeal with these steel-books? they're very expensive for what essentially is just a blu-ray release (which are now relatively inexpensive) and the artwork is totally non-original and has probably been designed by some teenage hipster who wasn't even born when the movie was made. You can't whack a standard blu-ray release with original or enhanced artwork. I won't be investing in this gimmick, although I suppose they will increase in price if you come to sell them in a few decades time.

Comment

Working...
                          X