Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The Private Life of Sherlock Homes (1970) Blu-ray

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Private Life of Sherlock Homes (1970) Blu-ray

What a let down! Eureka have used a tatty old well run cinema print complete with reel end change over cue marks and riddled with dirt specks and scratches. Any self respecting projectionist would have taken a dim view of a print like this and sought a replacement. My old region one DVD is a better viewing experience. Only worth the expense if you want the booklet and on screen extras (which are admittedly good).

Odeonman,
    Thanks for this information and after looking forward to the blu ray release of one of the finest Sherlock Holmes movies I share your disappointment. I also have the DVD and will stick with that, though I would have like to have seen the supporting features on the blu ray ; listed on Amazon as :

Blu-ray Special Features:

• Glorious 1080p presentation • Uncompressed PCM soundtrack (on the Blu-ray) • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing • A new video interview with film scholar Neil Sinyard • The Missing Cases (50 mins): A presentation of the films deleted sequences, using script excerpts, production stills and surviving film footage. Includes the film’s Original Prologue, The Curious Case of the Upside Down Room, The Adventure of the Dumbfounded Detective and The Dreadful Business of the Naked Honeymooners • Deleted Epilogue Scene (audio only) • Christopher Lee: Mr. Holmes, Mr. Wilder - an archival interview with Christopher Lee about his experience working with Billy Wilder • Interview with editor Ernest Walter • Original theatrical trailer • PLUS: A collectors booklet featuring a new essay by Philip Kemp; the words of Billy Wilder; and rare archival imagery

One recent review shares your impression on the picture quality :

Sub-standard print
    26 January 2018
    Format: Blu-ray|Verified Purchase
    After Arrow's excellent restoration of The Apartment, I was looking forward to another Billy Wilder classic on Blu-ray but this Eureka release is without a doubt the worst Blu-ray transfer I have ever seen. The source seems to be a very tatty, well run old cinema print complete with change over cue marks at the end of each reel and full of dirt specks and scratches. No TV company would accept such a print for transmission and it is a complete waste of Blu-ray's potential to use such a sub standard source. This clearly is not the best source available as I immediately compared it with my 2003 MGM region 1 DVD, which, while not perfect and obviously lacking the sharpness of a BD, is much cleaner and with better colour (and no reel end cue marks). The only justification for buying this is if you want the (excellent) booklet and on screen extras, otherwise it not only represents no improvement over the DVD, it is actually much worse.

Comment

Odeonman

This certainly looks like something worth having. The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes is one of my favourate films.

Comment

I've got a poor copy of a contemporary German Billy Wilder tv feature which contains a lot of behind the scenes footage including shooting of some of the deleted scenes.

I got it on-line but can't find a link at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony McKay View Post
          I've got a poor copy of a contemporary German Billy Wilder tv feature which contains a lot of behind the scenes footage including shooting of some of the deleted scenes.

I got it on-line but can't find a link at the moment.
          Tony

Would the missing footage be The Mystery of the Upside Down Room, by any chance.

Comment

Yes - a sequence when they enter the room and talk to the owner of the house then a location sequence as they leave the house in the rain.

Comment

Working...
            X