New BD of Quatermass and the Pit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BD of Quatermass and the Pit

I see the BBC is releasing a new Blu-Ray of their TV production of 'Quatermass and the Pit'. We already have the standard definition DVD set which has all three series in restored form plus a good number of extras. It's hard to imagine that it could look much better, given the quality restrictions of the original source, but as yet I haven't been able to find out if this disc uses the original restoration or if it is the result of a whole new scan. I'm tempted (it's Christmas!), mainly on the strength of some new extras.

Andy, I have the blu-ray and although I haven't carried out a comparison with the DVD set, the picture and sound quality is very good indeed. The extras on the blu-ray and the booklet give details of the series of lucky events which resulted in the available materials being of such high quality. I'd certainly recommend you give yourself an early Christmas treat.

Comment

Thanks for that, Gerald. Some of the extras are on the DVD set (such as Making Demons, assuming it's the same one). Sounds good, I'll put it on my Christmas list!

Comment

Probably filmed with 16mm neg stock so it should look sparkling

Comment

Originally posted by Mancunian Films View Post
          Probably filmed with 16mm neg stock so it should look sparkling
          I believe that the filmed parts of this were shot on 35mm at Ealing Studios.

Comment

Originally posted by Odeonman View Post

I believe that the filmed parts of this were shot on 35mm at Ealing Studios.
            Yes, 35mm at Ealing. Even the stuff recorded at Riverside Studios looks pretty good too.

Comment

Its now on my Santa list.

Comment

Here is a clip on YouTube from the BBC, of the new BluRay;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcKc...JGCFGFQeN2wc20

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                  Here is a clip on YouTube from the BBC, of the new BluRay;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcKc...JGCFGFQeN2wc20

That looks superb!

Comment

Merry Christmas everyone.
                    It's Christmas Morning and my new BD of Q&TP is here. I couldn't resist a short viewing of the main feature and frankly I'm gobsmacked at the quality of the pictures, especially the filmed sections. Obviously the studio sections made using the TV cameras of the day and 'telerecorded' onto film show the limitations of the technology of the time, but even so it's a useful improvement over the DVD release of a few years ago. I can feel a Quatermass Night coming on!
                    'Making Demons' seems to be presented in Stretch-O-Vision for some reason...

Comment

That truly is amazing i'll have to buy that and update!

Comment

This was the first thing I , as a child at the time, was really frightened by on the screen. It gave me nightmares.

Comment

Working...
                        X