Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Account Rendered (1957)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Account Rendered (1957)

Just released and available on Amazon at £12.99. Griffith Jones, Honor Blackman and Ursula Howells. Bit of a hefty price for a 59 minute film.

Originally posted by bertie View Post
    Just released and available on Amazon at £12.99. Griffith Jones, Honor Blackman and Ursula Howells. Bit of a hefty price for a 59 minute film.
    I'm not familiar with this film personally, but generally speaking new releases do seem to fetch a higher price. However, I do sometimes wonder how Amazon arrive at their prices. For instance, 'Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines' at the moment has an asking price of £157 for a blu-ray copy!

Comment

I never buy a DVD direct from amazon and haven't done for four years. I always use the amazon market place sellers, who are much cheaper. For instance, a Network DVD on amazon is often £5 dearer than it is when bought direct from Network. Account Rendered originally went out on the Rank circuit as the support to the Rod Steiger film Across the Bridge.

Comment

My first post on the new Britmovie site. From my film poster collection here is the 1957 UK quad poster for Account Rendered. At some point soon I plan to start uploading/posting all my quad posters on here (A to Z) for everyone to see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Account Rendered_Quad Poster.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	870

Comment

A great quad poster, Joe. They really went to town even on the supporting features in those days. I reckon there aren't many films that you haven't got a quad for. I know there was a great quad (that I used to have before I lost it) for The Battle of The River Plate, but was there ever a separate quad for its award winning support The Red Balloon as well? I can't remember now, as it is sixty years ago.

Comment

An excellent little film, I'll be searching for a cheaper price though

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
              I never buy a DVD direct from amazon and haven't done for four years. I always use the amazon market place sellers, who are much cheaper. For instance, a Network DVD on amazon is often £5 dearer than it is when bought direct from Network. Account Rendered originally went out on the Rank circuit as the support to the Rod Steiger film Across the Bridge.
              On a pedantic note, but to be absolutely accurate, Account Rendered and Across the Bridge went out on the Gaumont release in September 1957. Rank was still operating separate Odeon and Gaumont releases at that time. Rank release (and the poor relation National release) began in January 1959.

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Odeonman. That would explain why it was shown at the Gaumont, Hanley, instead of the Odeon. It's just that I thought that the Gaumont's were part of the Rank circuit by 1957.

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Odeonman. That would explain why it was shown at the Gaumont, Hanley, instead of the Odeon. It's just that I thought that the Gaumont's were part of the Rank circuit by 1957.
                  Gaumont was controlled by J. Arthur Rank from 1941. However, he was not allowed to combine the Odeon and Gaumont circuits and they retained separate releases and booking departments. In 1948 the operation of all Rank's cinemas was transferred to a new subsidiary called Circuits Management Association Ltd., but the separate Odeon and Gaumont releases continued (you could find standard CMA carpet in Odeon and Guamont cinemas well into the 1970's). By the late fifties declining audiences and cinema closures had reduced the value of a Gaumont release to the extent that distributors complained about it. In January 1959 Rank were allowed to reorganize it's circuits by putting the best Odeons and the best Gaumonts together on a new Rank release, while the leftovers got the, usually inferior, National release. By then the 70mm roadshow era had started and in major cities where Rank had both an Odeon and a Gaumont, one of them would get the Rank release and the other would get the National release but would spend most of it's time on roadshows. In places like Hanley and Bristol, the much more modern Odeons got the National release but spent most of their time on roadshows while the Gaumonts played the main Rank release. After a couple of years the feeble earning power of a National release caused distributors to avoid it and led to Rank losing Paramount to ABC after refusing a Rank release for a now forgotten Dean Martin/Shirley MacLaine comedy called All In a Night's Work. The loss of Paramount movies made continuation of the National release almost impossible and it fizzled out during 1962.

Comment

A very complicated set up, Odeonman. It's a good job they didn't have me running it all, or I'd have made a right mess up of it. It was simpler just being a projectionist.

Comment

A great quad poster, Joe. They really went to town even on the supporting features in those days. I reckon there aren't many films that you haven't got a quad for. I know there was a great quad (that I used to have before I lost it) for The Battle of The River Plate, but was there ever a separate quad for its award winning support The Red Balloon as well? I can't remember now, as it is sixty years ago.
                      There's a South American version of Yellow Balloon on this site here, although not a quad example
                      www.originalposter.co.uk + Poster Search. ID to title is 8427

Comment

Are we talking about the same balloon? I don't think so...
                        Yellow Balloon(1953)
                        Red Balloon(1956)

Comment

Do you mean The Yellow Balloon (1952), or The Red Balloon (1956), Rick?

Comment

My mistake! Got my balloons mixed-up!

Comment

Working...
                            X