Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carl V
    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Kevinspencer
    I remember The Italian job, the original release. I particularly remembered Benny Hill portrayal of Professor Peach. Wonderful film. Years later a remake starring Tom Hanks. As I recall, some reviews were favourable. Tom Hanks is a wonderful actor, as for the remake, he was miscast in this film. At times, remakes of classic films should be made.
    Kevin, I'm wondering if you're thinking of another film as I don't recall Tom Hanks being in The Italian Job remake. I remember Mark Wahlberg playing the Michael Caine role, and I seem to recall Jason Statham as well. However, no remake will ever match the original - very, very few remakes (if any) ever do.

Comment

• Kevinspencer
      • Nov 2019

Thank you Carl for brining me this to my attention. Tom Hanks did star in the deplorable remake, The lady killers. My mistake.

Comment

• Carl V
        • Mar 2017

Thank you Carl for brining me this to my attention. Tom Hanks did star in the deplorable remake, The lady killers. My mistake.
        No problem Kevin. To be honest with you, I double-checked on the IMDB website to make sure. The film came out in 2003, so I'd imagine it was shown on Sky the following year - and that was the one and only time I saw it. Totally agree with you about The Ladykillers......as much as I like Tom Hanks, and yes indeed he is a very good actor, he's no substitute for Alec Guinness.

Comment

• Bonekicker
          • Feb 2017

I didn't know Roger Moore tried for that part, so thanks for sharing that. Yes, the second Die Hard film was good too, but I honestly didn't really care much for the third one with Samuel L. Jackson. However you're right, the fifth isn't even worth mentioning. I do remember The Italian Job remake too, and yes, that's another film I watched once and left it at that.

That's a nice poster you bought there on Ebay. I'm guessing you must have a pretty vast collection if your wife is trying to prevent you from acquiring more.
          I think Moore tells the story in My Word is My Bond. I suspect he thought 'why not give it a go?' Actors do like to stretch themselves a bit, and it would have been an interesting role. But since Live and Let Die was released six months before The Day of the Jackal, its not like he needed the job, and dont think it was an especially serious attempt.

I must admit that the third Die Hard film, while dappy in places, does really move along, there are some good set pieces (the opening sequence as a bomb goes off on a NY street is very powerful), and there is a good dramatic juxtaposition between Willis and Jackson's characters. And Irons is a good villain!

As for the poster collection, I have rather more than I would admit to my wife (at least twice as much), although I still have a decently sized wants list, but its nothing like Joe's Quad poster collection (who has more posters starting with 'W' than I have in total).

Even finding somewhere to display just some of them is difficult (and I tend to buy A size posters rather than Quad, because of the size issue), and a fair number of them are either the ballast of an Ebay order from the US where in a couple of cases, i missed out on the main poster I wanted and ended up with the addons), not in great condition, or both.

My wife doesnt say no to adding to the collection, but asks 'do you really need that?' in the way that means 'you really shouldnt be buying that'! We have all been there...

Years later a remake starring Tom Hanks. As I recall, some reviews were favourable. Tom Hanks is a wonderful actor, as for the remake, he was miscast in this film
          Tom Hanks wasnt in the remake of The Italian Job - that was Mark Wahlberg, Donald Sutherland, Edward Norton, etc. But Hanks did play a Professor in the Coen brothers remake of The Ladykillers.

Comment

• Carl V
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Bonekicker
            My wife doesnt say no to adding to the collection, but asks 'do you really need that?' in the way that means 'you really shouldnt be buying that'! We have all been there...
            I know exactly what you mean - it's the tone of the voice that gives it away. It's almost like they're really saying "why don't you spend your money on me instead".

Comment

• Bonekicker
              • Feb 2017

I know exactly what you mean - it's the tone of the voice that gives it away. It's almost like they're really saying "why don't you spend your money on me instead".
              Actually, its not a hint to spend that money on her, its more 'why are you spending money on that?' in a way which says you shouldnt be spending that money at all, especially since its something else to clutter up the place...

Comment

• martinu
                • Mar 2017

The Day of the Jackal is being shown on Sony Classic / Sony Classic Movies 22:00-23:45 today, 1 June 2020.

Comment

• Carl V
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by martinu
                  The Day of the Jackal is being shown on Sony Classic / Sony Classic Movies 22:00-23:45 today, 1 June 2020.
                  Yes, my father is watching this right now as I'm writing this........despite the fact I already have the excellent Arrow blu-ray release.
                  At least he appreciates a classic.

Comment

• martinu
                    • Mar 2017

Grrr. My PVR only recorded the second half, from 22:00 onwards, and not the earlier part from about 21:00 onwards. I really should have checked Digiguide to make sure I'd got the whole lot in the scheduled recordings. I've got a low-def (544x576 rather than 720x576) copy from ages ago, but I was hoping to update it to a better version. I'm sure it will be on again. Or I could buy a copy...

Comment

• Supernova Pilbeam
                      Supernova Pilbeam commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You have my commiserations...I've had many problems with stuff missed when a movie is plonked around some celebrity guff that they have the audacity to often call News
                  • cassidy
                    • Jan 2017

Grrr. My PVR only recorded the second half, from 22:00 onwards, and not the earlier part from about 21:00 onwards. I really should have checked Digiguide to make sure I'd got the whole lot in the scheduled recordings. I've got a low-def (544x576 rather than 720x576) copy from ages ago, but I was hoping to update it to a better version. I'm sure it will be on again. Or I could buy a copy...
                    It pops up quite regularly on TV. Keep an eye out on TCM.

Comment

• Steve Crook
                      Administrator
                      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by cassidy

It pops up quite regularly on TV. Keep an eye out on TCM.
                      Day of the Jackal (1971) is being shown on Sunday, 7 June at 18:15 on Sony Movies Classic if you get that channel.

Steve

Comment

• (wintage) moonfleet
                        • Jun 2020

I may be wasting my time. The possibility this has been brought up before. The day of the jackal is now available on blu-ray. I just discovered it on the internet. Just thought I would mention it. Perhaps someone might find it interesting.
                        Hello, je suis french aussi

You certainly speak of the french combo release by french editor Elephant Films ??
                        I got it too, a very good thriller indeed. Même si le Général de Gaulle n'est pas très ressemblant ha ha ...
                        And the great Michael Lonsdale and Derek Jacobi are in too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	71RSB2MMsML._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.1 KB ID:	90301
                        Last edited by (wintage) moonfleet; 3 June 2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Kevinspencer
                          • Nov 2019

Merci Wintage Moonfleet, c’est dvd, j’ai acheté.

Comment

• martinu
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Steve Crook

Day of the Jackal (1971) is being shown on Sunday, 7 June at 18:15 on Sony Movies Classic if you get that channel.

Steve
                            Set to record. This time my PVR lists it as a single event from 18:15 to 21:00 (18:10 to 21:10 with my standard padding of 5 mins before and 10 mins after).

It says a lot about the skill of the writer and director that you are urging on the Jackal and willing him to succeed, while knowing that it would be catastrophic if he did succeed.

The only slight plot hole is that when de Gaulle dips his head forward as the Jackal fires, those around him (especially his security staff) don't react to the noise of the bullet striking the road behind him. And if the bullets really had been explosive, it would not have been a little ping that it made ;-)

Comment

• cassidy
                              • Jan 2017

The only slight plot hole is that when de Gaulle dips his head forward as the Jackal fires, those around him (especially his security staff) don't react to the noise of the bullet striking the road behind him. And if the bullets really had been explosive, it would not have been a little ping that it made ;-)
                              Yes, de Gaulle keepers missed that one !!

Comment

Working...