Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Kong: Skull Island

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kong: Skull Island

I haven't seen any of the Transformers/Avengers movies but I have a mental picture of them as very noisy, big, expensive CGI effects slamming into more noisy, big expensive effects while the human element either scurry to get out of the way or stand watching with suitably awestruck expressions. If that is the case, then this one fits comfortably into that genre. Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson and Samuel L Jackson take the money and enjoy the exotic locations.

I liked Peter Jackson's reboot much better.

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post
    I haven't seen any of the Transformers/Avengers movies but I have a mental picture of them as very noisy, big, expensive CGI effects slamming into more noisy, big expensive effects while the human element either scurry to get out of the way or stand watching with suitably awestruck expressions. If that is the case, then this one fits comfortably into that genre. Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson and Samuel L Jackson take the money and enjoy the exotic locations.

I liked Peter Jackson's reboot much better.
    It would be a mistake to view the Transformers movies as equivalent to The Avengers, imo. The first Avengers movie is terrific (although benefits from the audience having seen Captain America: The First Avenger). What's more, it is part of a remarkably ambitious, interlinked series of Marvel movies, that have overarching storylines (that's not to say some of them aren't just CGI extravaganzas - the second Avengers movie was quite tedious). Overall, though, there's more to them than CGI effects. That's why, for me, they have been much more satisfying than the DC adaptations (Nolan's Batman trilogy excepted).

Comment

• John Hamilton
      John Hamilton commented
      Editing a comment
      More than happy to take your word for it

• John Hamilton
      John Hamilton commented
      Editing a comment
      Just watched The Great Wal, another movie that dispenses with characterisation, plot and tension in favour of GCI noisiness!

And that's why we love them! FF8 was superb!!!

Comment

Working...
    X