Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool

Interesting looking film released on November 16th about the final years of legendary Hollywood actress Gloria Grahame.

A cast starring Annette Bening, Jamie Bell, Julie Walters, and Vannessa Redgrave looks like a recipe for success, I hope it is, looks like a social commentary of Liverpool in 1979 also.

Gloria has a small role in the Britmovie 'A Nightingale sang in Berkeley Square', made in 1978 with David Niven and Richard Jordan, which is regularly shown on the talking pictures channel.

Link to trailer.........

https://youtu.be/u_zpvLAnOaM

Gloria Grahame did a great job in The Man Who Never Was (1956)

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
      Gloria Grahame did a great job in The Man Who Never Was (1956)

Steve
      Not familiar with that one, though I'll keep an eye out, talking pictures are always open to suggestions and comments on their fb page, which I think I'll do.

I'm only really familiar with 'The big heat', one of the 'film noir' genre, "we're the fur-coated girls" she says, though I found the hot coffee jug scene upsetting.

Gloria is in the musical Oklahoma also, I've read she got the role over Mamie Van-Doren, who desperately wanted the part, again I've not seen Oklahoma as I'm not really into those 50's epic musical films, but I'll watch now my interest has been stirred.

Gloria certainly led an eventful life, a link to her IMDB bio..........

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002108/b..._=nm_ov_bio_sm

Comment

I have read the book upon which the film is based.Excellant.Looking forwarrd to seeing the film

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

Not familiar with that one, though I'll keep an eye out, talking pictures are always open to suggestions and comments on their fb page, which I think I'll do.
          It’s the story of a clandestine scheme to fool the Nasties into thinking that the Allies were going to land in Greece rather than the more obvious Sicily for Italy. They found a dead body & dressed it up as a Royal Marine complete with secret papers, that was left to float ashore on the coast of Spain, knowing that it was full of Nazi spys

It’s a great film, based on a true story

Steve

Comment

Opération Mincemeat.Grahame plays a fictitious character as does Stephen Boyd..

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
              Opération Mincemeat.Grahame plays a fictitious character as does Stephen Boyd..
              I said “based on a true story” not that it was a true story like a documentary

The story it was based on was true, not necessarily all of the characters. But Gloria gives a great performance.

Steve

Comment

Other than the fictitious bits it is all true.
                My late father sat as a magistrate with Euan Montague.He found him quite pompous and took too much credit.He plays a cameo in the film

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                  Other than the fictitious bits it is all true.
                  Like most films then
                  Even those which are "based on a true story" usually have large elements that are created for the film

Steve

Comment

Saw it today.Disjointed and disappointing.A non linear narrrative,not suited to a true story.The book is far better

Comment

I saw "Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool" at the London Film Festival. I thought it was great......but I'm in the process of getting the book. And it's great to see huge interest in the film career of Gloria Grahame being reignited. She really was a great actress.

Comment

It's getting very good reviews (from reviewers that I trust), so it's on my 'must see' list.

Comment

Quite an in-depth programme regarding the film recently broadcast here
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09f2sbq

Comment

Simple mention of Gloria Grahame in this recent radio broadcast too-focussing on Oklahoma as a stage-to-screen translation
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09g03gw

Comment

Gloria was marvellous in Lewis Gilbert's The Good Die Young among a great cast (Laurence Harvey, Stanley Baker, Rene Ray, Joan Collins, Richard Basehart, John Ireland) and superb in US Film Noirs In a Lonely Place and The Big Heat, but I remember her best in It's a Wonderful Life as the flirtatious Violet Bick - 'Hey Vi. That's some dres you're wearing.' 'Oh, this ? I only wear this when I don't care how I look.'

Comment

Working...
                              X