• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paxton Milk
    replied
    Originally posted by Jack View Post
    Hello!

How did you all find the movie? I am currently re-reading the book. I am also wondering about what makes it more multicultural. The original text already had a lot of characters belonging to different nationalities. Poirot has always sounded ridiculous because of his “egg-shaped” head. But otherwise he is always well-groomed, neat and smart.
    It has lots going for it in terms of production values, photography etc. But I preferred the EMI version because I related better to that cast than the new one, I suspect anyone under a certain age would say the opposite. If the point of a whodunnit is to keep you guessing whodunnit, and you have seen Lumet's version, which also had great production values, then it doesn't add a great deal.

Leave a comment:

• Jack
    replied
    Hello!

How did you all find the movie? I am currently re-reading the book. I am also wondering about what makes it more multicultural. The original text already had a lot of characters belonging to different nationalities. Poirot has always sounded ridiculous because of his “egg-shaped” head. But otherwise he is always well-groomed, neat and smart.

Leave a comment:

• orpheum
    replied
    Once you have watched the1974 version,you will not want to bother with the appalling remake.Anyway you I'll know whodunnit.

Leave a comment:

• jamal.nazreddin
    replied
    https://www.inverse.com/article/3831...gatha-christie

This American says Agatha Christie had to be updated to make it more 'acceptable' to a 'contemporary audience'.

Therefore Branagh inserted new scenes to provide 'emotion', 'physical activity' and 'moral complexity' to make it sufficiently and acceptably 'badass'.

Leave a comment:

• Bert Quark
    replied
    Originally posted by arthur linden-jones View Post
    I wonder if Dennis Waterman is going to sing the theme song ? ..... No wait, hang on, that was the other " ... On The Orient Express".
    apparently legend has it that he also wanted to sing the theme to The Sweeney

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied
    Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post
    Funny I've never heard it till now. I was expecting to be told it was American English.
    The usage could be a bit confusing though, because it could just as easily be an abbreviation of other verbs such as modernise, moderate, modulate, model.
    That's the trouble with lazy, careless abbreviations.

See the piece I wrote about the use of "Tech" at https://www.britmovie.co.uk/forum/li...ology%E2%80%9D

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied
    Funny I've never heard it till now. I was expecting to be told it was American English.
    The usage could be a bit confusing though, because it could just as easily be an abbreviation of other verbs such as modernise, moderate, modulate, model.

Leave a comment:

• Bonekicker
    replied
    'Modding' is a thing in itself now, from tech stuff to cars, to pretty much anything. Perhaps I should have used the phrase 'freely adapted'...which is pretty much what often happens with Christie.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied

Thanks. I didn't know the verb ''to modify'' had been modified to "to mod".
    It’s a common contraction here. But posters should remember that not everyone on the site is familiar with colloquial English “as she is spoke” here

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Modify / modified

Steve
    Thanks. I didn't know the verb ''to modify'' had been modified to "to mod".

Leave a comment:

• Steve Crook
    replied

Sorry, but what does ''mod'' and ''modded"mean?
    Modify / modified

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied
    Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
    Its Agatha Christie - they'll mod it if they need to - its not as if people will storm out if its not identical to the book they read 30 years ago on a wet weekend when there wasn't much else to do. In fact, I'm pretty sure much of Christie gets slightly modded for each new film or TV series anyway.
    Sorry, but what does ''mod'' and ''modded"mean?

Leave a comment:

• narabdela
    replied
    Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
    ^ I'm sure Google can tell you.
    Sorry, I thought my Google skills were well honed, but I drew a blank. I do know that they've done a run of 70mm prints, but no mention of 3D.

Never mind, I'll try again later.

Leave a comment:

• jamal.nazreddin
    replied
    ^ I'm sure Google can tell you.

Leave a comment:

• narabdela
    replied
    Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
    ^ In the U.S.A.

So the internet tells me.
    Have you got a link?