The Lego Movie 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lego Movie 2

Being the father of two children, I am largely doomed to see whatever the family in general want to see when we go to the cinema. Following on from The Crimes of Grindelwald, (which is pretty good), we have just seen The Lego Movie 2. However, just because these are childrens movies doesnt mean that they dont cater for adults as well - the wit and imagination in Pixar, etc is often far better than the run of the mill Hollywood action or rom com film.

And its a delight. The first one is very clever, and works at all sorts of levels. The second? I'm not sure its better, since the setup is already familiar, but there are lots of lovely reference to various films - I spotted Planet of the Apes, Mad Max, 2001, Stargate, Star Wars Twilight, Scooby Doo, ,Back to the Future, Alien, Die Hard (Bruce Willis appears as himself) , time travel films, and Jurassic World (the idea of velociraptors running technical support is highly amusing) to name but a few. And there are a load of cameo voices, including some of Brits.

Very nicely done, a sharp satirical edge on pop culture and a load of other things ('Marvel isn't returning our calls'), and plenty of references for adults ('I now understand Radiohead' was greeted by huge laughs from the parents in the audience), plus a nice heartwarming ending and a message about growing up too fast and getting along together. And of course sending up Batman's 'dark character' on an epic scale.

And this year we shall get not only get a Shaun the Sheep sequel, but also The Secret Life of Pets 2 - the first of which was one of the cleverest animation films I've seen in a while, and had a great number of film references.

Its not a film for adults as such, but certainly one that will possibly make you smile, and singing 'Catchy Song'. There are a lot worst things to watch.

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
    Being the father of two children, I am largely doomed to see whatever the family in general want to see when we go to the cinema. Following on from The Crimes of Grindelwald, (which is pretty good), we have just seen The Lego Movie 2. However, just because these are childrens movies doesnt mean that they dont cater for adults as well - the wit and imagination in Pixar, etc is often far better than the run of the mill Hollywood action or rom com film.

And its a delight. The first one is very clever, and works at all sorts of levels. The second? I'm not sure its better, since the setup is already familiar, but there are lots of lovely reference to various films - I spotted Planet of the Apes, Mad Max, 2001, Stargate, Star Wars Twilight, Scooby Doo, ,Back to the Future, Alien, Die Hard (Bruce Willis appears as himself) , time travel films, and Jurassic World (the idea of velociraptors running technical support is highly amusing) to name but a few. And there are a load of cameo voices, including some of Brits.

Very nicely done, a sharp satirical edge on pop culture and a load of other things ('Marvel isn't returning our calls'), and plenty of references for adults ('I now understand Radiohead' was greeted by huge laughs from the parents in the audience), plus a nice heartwarming ending and a message about growing up too fast and getting along together. And of course sending up Batman's 'dark character' on an epic scale.

And this year we shall get not only get a Shaun the Sheep sequel, but also The Secret Life of Pets 2 - the first of which was one of the cleverest animation films I've seen in a while, and had a great number of film references.

Its not a film for adults as such, but certainly one that will possibly make you smile, and singing 'Catchy Song'. There are a lot worst things to watch.

I absolutely loved the first one. I watched it with my 14 year old daughter who was even more cynical going in than me and we were both in tears. The Morgan Freeman ghost was the funniest thing I have seen in years. I have read that this one isn't quite up to that standard, I guess the novelty has worn off a bit, but I will certainly be tracking it down.

Comment

Yeah - once you realise that the Lego world is just a reflection of the kids imagination, it doesn't have quite the same power. But, there is more than enough there to enjoy, even if the end part goes on a little bit more than strictly needed. In any case, far better than some formula flick, and very funny (the mother likening standing one Lego Brick to the pain of childbirth is spot on). Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
      X