Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Churchill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Churchill

Saw this today.In my view a completely erroneous view of history.

I said this—

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
    I sat through Churchill (2017) last night but I had to have my ears covered. The actor playing Churchill (Brian Cox) shouted continuously and the Dolby soundtrack amplified his over-breathy rumbling voice to twice human level volume.

And there was an orchestra playing CONTINUOUSLY fighting to be heard over his doubly-loud voice. It was one of those Disney movie kind of soundtracks which told you what to think because this was very much a Disney style movie where all the characters (including Miranda Richardson as Clementine Churchill) were reduced down to one-dimensional cartoonish characters. The omni-present orchestra with celestial choir were bellowing away in one scene to accompany Churchill dressing himself.

The script was written to be all perfectly PC with an ersatz Morgan Freeman character in the shape of Field Marshal Jan Christiaan Smuts. Avoid at all costs or wear ear plugs.

No doubt the film-makers thought Churchill made a Worst political blunder but I suspect the motley crew of people who made this little film had an equally subjective and short term view of the facts as the current commentators.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
      Saw this today.In my view a completely erroneous view of history.
      Then again, it isn't history, it's a movie, an entertainment. Criticising a movie for not being factually accurate would be a time-consuming and pointless exercise. From the reviews I have read, it isn't much on the way of entertainment

Comment

I don't understand the logic of your post.Why not make a film about the Battle of Hastings with Harold the victor.

Comment

I don't understand the logic of your post.Why not make a film about the Battle of Hastings with Harold the victor.
          Why not, I'm sure that someone will if they can think of a good enough story.

I agree with John. Film should never be confused with history, even one that claims to be a documentary, especially not a dramatised "documentary" or a "bio-pic"

Steve

Comment

Have you seen the film.Probably not.If you had you would likely agree that this film is a travesty.
            I saw the Imitation Game recently on tv,having first seen it at the cinema.It showed Allen Turing getting engaged to a female.It was laughable.
            To me verisimilitude and adherence to known facts are a prerequisite.How will kids of today what a great leader Churchill was if they watch tripe like this.
            Without him either we would be living in a Nazi dominated Europe,or under Nazi rule.In the later case I would not be here as my parents would have become victims of the Holocaust.

Comment

I saw the Imitation Game recently on tv,having first seen it at the cinema.It showed Allen Turing getting engaged to a female.It was laughable.
              It was quite common back in the day for gay men to get engaged, even to marry and occasionally to have children - when the penalties for homosexual acts were so draconian

Steve

Comment

...How will kids of today what a great leader Churchill was if they watch tripe like this...
                This thing is worse than tripe.

It was as if a group of adolescents were given a camera as a Xmas present. They then took eight actors, four sets, a dopey script and a Dolby boom-box to play with. The man responsible did the equally-dopey Railway Man four years ago with Colin Firth and the risible Nicole Kidman.

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post

This thing is worse than tripe.

It was as if a group of adolescents were given a camera as a Xmas present. They then took eight actors, four sets, a dopey script and a Dolby boom-box to play with. The man responsible did the equally-dopey Railway Man four years ago with Colin Firth and the risible Nicole Kidman.
                  I haven't seen the film so I can't comment but this is a valid criticism.

Comment

Have you seen the film.Probably not.If you had you would likely agree that this film is a travesty.
                    Am I missing something? Turning was engaged to Joan Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post
                      Then again, it isn't history, it's a movie, an entertainment. Criticising a movie for not being factually accurate would be a time-consuming and pointless exercise. From the reviews I have read, it isn't much on the way of entertainment
                      It's an interpretation of history. All the reviews I have read treat it seriously as such, not as just a movie for entertainment. The Observer calls it a ''biopic'' and a ''ponderous film that strives too hard to excuse Churchill’s flaws''. The IMDb describes it as "A ticking-clock thriller following Winston Churchill in the 96 hours before D-Day."

Comment

It certainly isn't a ticking clock thriller as we all know how events transpired.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

It's an interpretation of history. All the reviews I have read treat it seriously as such, not as just a movie for entertainment. The Observer calls it a ''biopic'' and a ''ponderous film that strives too hard to excuse Churchill’s flaws''. The IMDb describes it as "A ticking-clock thriller following Winston Churchill in the 96 hours before D-Day."
                          The New York Times called it a jumbled hash and said Cos was "an actor utterly defeated by his script. It's depressing."

Comment

It certainly isn't a ticking clock thriller as we all know how events transpired.
                            That's true! Perhaps the writer didn't know....

Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post

The New York Times called it a jumbled hash and said Cox was "an actor utterly defeated by his script. It's depressing."
                            I probably should have said a misinterpretation of history! In any case, I've not read anything about it that would make me want to sit through it. I bet Cox is regretting it.

Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 26th June 2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

That's true! Perhaps the writer didn't know....

I probably should have said a misinterpretation of history! In any case, I've not read anything about it that would make me want to sit through it. I bet Cox is regretting it.
                              Oh, I don't think he is that bothered, Shirley, he's had his share of howlers in the past and I am sure that there will be more to come. They all contribute to the mortgage

Comment

Working...
                              X