Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Alien: Covenant (2017)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Hamilton
    started a topic Alien: Covenant (2017)

Alien: Covenant (2017)

Ridley Scott is a director I have always admired, he has a strong visual style, great casts and always chooses interesting subjects. Given a poor script, however, he struggles and this one should be notched down as a bit of let down. Less of a remake of Alien, as it was billed, and more of a sequel to Prometheus, we find Scott in philosophical mood, playing down the horror in favour of extravagant effects and ponderous, pointless and repetitive dialogue. Katherine Waterson gives a spirited performance as an ersatz Signourney Weaver but Michael Fassbender, in a dual role, is robotic (literally).

• John Hamilton
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulC View Post
    Although I hated Prometheus when I watched it at the cinema. Now I think its a fantastic sequel. But this one really is the pits.
    Prequel, surely? Going from hatred to 'fantastic' seems a bit of a jump, what prompted such a radical re-evaluation?

Leave a comment:

• PaulC
    replied
    what a complete mess of a movie. I have long since lost interest in the Alien films. Although I hated Prometheus when I watched it at the cinema. Now I think its a fantastic sequel. But this one really is the pits. I ended up walking out on it I thought it was that bad.

Leave a comment:

• StoneAgeMan
    replied
    I have an idea for a blockbuster franchise. The first movie will be titled "Original Movie", with sequels released at two-year intervals; "Original Movie 2: The Sequel", "Original Movie 3: Rebirth", "Original Movie 4: She's a Jolly Good Fellow", "Original Movie 5: Alive", "Original Movie 6: It Was All A Dream", "Original Movie 7: The Greatest Hits", "Original Movie 8: The One That Went Straight to DVD", "Original Movie 9: The Quite Good One Directed By A Rookie", "Original Movie 10: Back In Fashion", "Original Movie 11: None of The Original Cast, Crew or Locations", "Original Movie 12: The Pointless Dozen"

Leave a comment:

• agutterfan
    replied
    To be followed by Alien: The Shameless Rip-Off and Alien: The Unnecessary Cash-In. Coming to a multiplex near you.

Leave a comment:

• John Hamilton
    replied
    Originally posted by narabdela View Post

I think you must have picked up the wrong end of the stick somewhere along the line. It was never billed as a remake of Alien. I was following its development from early on and it was always clearly evident that it was a sequel to Prometheus.
    No, you are right it was never billed as anything other than a sequel to Prometheus but I think there are more than enough similarities with the original to suggest that Ridley was heavily inspired by the earlier film, everything from the basic plot structure, to the music (Jerry Goldsmith's Alien soundtrack recurs) and even snatches of dialogue. I think the comparison is valid.

Leave a comment:

• narabdela
    replied
    Originally posted by John Hamilton View Post
    Less of a remake of Alien, as it was billed, and more of a sequel to Prometheus...
    I think you must have picked up the wrong end of the stick somewhere along the line. It was never billed as a remake of Alien. I was following its development from early on and it was always clearly evident that it was a sequel to Prometheus.

Leave a comment:

• John Hamilton
    replied
    Originally posted by AlecLeamas View Post

..., it may have been too much perssure to do justice to a classic 30 years down the road .
    Isn't that what he is doing. Okay Alien isn't a out and out classic, as such, but it's an iconic film and a master class in horror. I read somewhere that Prometheus and this form the first two installments of a trilogy, Given that Covenant is at least watchable, then the trajectory is upwards!

Leave a comment:

• AlecLeamas
    replied

Ridley passed on a sequel to Blade Runner to make this tripe . I dont see the sense , apart from , it may have been too much perssure to do justice to a classic 30 years down the road .
    Last edited by AlecLeamas; 9th July 2017, 09:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X