Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamal.nazreddin
    commented on 's reply
    The Grauniad is produced by ratbags (who want the world to be populated with ratbags).

• jamal.nazreddin
    replied
    What is George MacKay like? Is he a star?

I hear people say he is the New Albert Finney, the New Richard Harris.

Leave a comment:

• Gamelyn
    replied
    I really enjoyed this. The style is quite mesmerising how it's presented as a single shot from start to finish. My favourite is probably the first half, where it's just the two of them going through no-man's land. It's really interesting seeing what no-man's land looked like. Just a wasteland of mud, barbed-wire and body-parts. I wonder if the Guardian disliked it for cinematic reasons or political reasons.

Edit: I just read the Guardian review. Apparently 1917 is pro-Brexit, which would explain their distaste for it.
    Last edited by Gamelyn; 8 February 2020, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Carl V
    replied
    Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post

One has to read at least 2 or 3 newspapers nowdays because they ALL 'cook the news to suit their views'.
    That's true. For many years when I was living on my own, I never bought a daily newspaper. However since my parents moved in with me, due to the fact they both need looking after, I started buying a paper each morning for my dad, and it's unbelievable what they print at times.

Leave a comment:

• jamal.nazreddin
    replied
    Originally posted by narabdela View Post

You read the Grauniad? I'd never have guessed!
    One has to read at least 2 or 3 newspapers nowdays because they ALL 'cook the news to suit their views'. Though The Grauniad refuses free commentary on 92% of their articles and they indulge in a great deal of censoring.

Leave a comment:

• narabdela
    replied
    Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
    This movie gets a right slagging off in today's Grauniad.
    You read the Grauniad? I'd never have guessed!

Leave a comment:

• jamal.nazreddin
    replied
    This movie gets a right slagging off in today's Grauniad.

Leave a comment:

• Paxton Milk
    replied
    I thought it was very good. Technically accomplished, extremely well acted by the two principles and movingly told.

Leave a comment:

• Paxton Milk
    commented on 's reply
    Oh, believe me, I have been on the receiving end of much worse on this forum

• narabdela
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
    Pack it in the pair of you.
    Gladly!

I do, however, want to say a little more, but I'll keep it as neutral as possible.

I was as puzzled as Paxton Milk was by the 'Rude' accusation, but having read Orpheum's comments to posts #11 and #12, I think I see where the problem lies.

I would urge him to re-read the thread carefully, paying particular attention to timeline and context. I do hope he understands what I'm getting at.

Right! I'd better leave it at that.

Leave a comment:

• BVS
    replied
    Originally posted by narabdela View Post
    Best Picture- Holywood Critics Association Awards

Best Picture- Golden Globes

Best Director -Golden Globes

Satellite Award for Best Cinematography (International Press Academy)

BAFTA Nominee- Best Film-Best Director-Best Cinematography-Best Production Design-Best Original Music-Best Sound-Best Makeup-Best Achievement in Visual Effects

American Film Institute Awards- Best Movie

...and many others.

Well, stands to reason, it's obviously rubbish innit?
    Well Dunkirk (2017) got a whole Bunch of Awards and Nominations and it was absolute rubbish/boring/tedious/historically inaccurate.
    The numbers of awards is not (on its own) a good indicator of a really good movie.

Please note - I am quite happy to watch inaccurate historical films if they are well made and exciting.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Dando
    replied
    Pack it in the pair of you.

Leave a comment:

• orpheum
    commented on 's reply
    OK,how would you feel if I called you snide or your opinions snide?

• orpheum
    commented on 's reply
    I suggest that you look up the definition of the word snide.
    Being rude to another user is unacceptable.The fact that you do not understand this is worse.Furthermore you attacked an opinion I have of a film which I have seen and which you have not.

• Paxton Milk
    replied
    To be honest, struggling to see where anyone is being rude?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X