Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

BFI Bargains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BFI Bargains

http://shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/b...m_term=BFI2017

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
    BFI Bargains

They seem to be normal prices.

Comment

All that unseen British stuff in their vaults,just waiting to be seen again.
      The prices are a bit OTT

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
        All that unseen British stuff in their vaults,just waiting to be seen again.
        The prices are a bit OTT
        the trouble is that although the BFI has it archived, they don't have the rights to screen them or release them for a lot of them

Steve

Comment

Yes I know that,but it would be nice for them to make the effort.In any event I would guess that many British films of the 1930s are copyright orphans.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
            Yes I know that,but it would be nice for them to make the effort.In any event I would guess that many British films of the 1930s are copyright orphans.
            It may be that nobody knows who owns the copyright (copyright orphan) but that still doesn't give the BFI the right to screen or release them. Someone owns the copyright and if the films were screened or released that might get them to come out of the woodwork and sue the BFI. That wouldn't be a good use of their public funding

Steve

Comment

I have quite a long list of British film titles that have never had any kind of home video release, anywhere in the world, and many of them no TV transmissions either. I am currently trying to find out who would own the current 'Rights' to them, and then contact them to say that the BFI holds prints in the National Film Archive, and can we please try and bring them to market !. The BFI never respond to my emails, but at least I can see what is stashed in the NFA !. Wish me luck.

Comment

In many areas of law indemnity policies. are available to cover things such as old restrictive covenants.So there should be available in such circumstances an indemnity policy to cover potential claims by alleged copyright owners.

Comment

But many times the copyright owner doesn't know that they're the copyright owner. Copyright ownership is often sold in batches, like the rights to Ealing films but then the new owner might then split them into comedies and dramas and sell them on, maybe packaged together with other non-Ealing titles. Do that enough times and it soon becomes such a mess that only expensive lawyers can track it all down.

Steve

Comment

That sounds very simple when you are trying to work out who might have the benefit of restrictive covenants taken out 150 years ago and they are to benefit properties in the surrounding area,or defunct trust,deceased individuals,defunct companies.So the above is childishly and not as insurmountable as you may imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by oddbodjunior View Post
                      ... The BFI never respond to my emails...
                      That seems to be a common complaint. I'm sure I've heard that at least ten times here and in other places.

Comment

They seem to think that RITA, SUE & BOB TOO (1987) has 1.66 as its original aspect ratio.
                        Hardly, I think by 1987 everything was filmed for 1.85.

Comment

They seem to think that RITA, SUE & BOB TOO (1987) has 1.66 as its original aspect ratio.
                          Hardly, I think by 1987 everything was filmed for 1.85.
                          IMDB does have it as 1.66 - which might make sense since it was a British Screen/C4 Film coproduction apparently shot on Super 16. 1.66 would be perfect for a European release, doable for a British screen release and OKish for showing on C4. Widescreen (16 x 9) didn't start to be shot for TV until the early/mid nineties, so 1.85 would have been pretty letterboxy.

Comment

To drag this back on topic, FOPP has a current promotion on a wide range of BFI titles. Worth a visit, if they have a shop near you.

(Some of which are duplicated in HMV, Fopp's parent company)

Comment

Working...
                            X