Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

BFI Bargains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tonch View Post
    I'm thinking this errs in favour of the BFI (or whoever) releasing stuff: who would risk launching a costly legal case without the certain knowledge that they actually DO, indeed, own the copyright? In which case, broadcast an intention to release with an invitation for copyright owners to come forward, using a legal disclaimer as a safety net. I realise it's a sort of risky "publish and be damned" in reverse, but providing a watertight disclaimer is widely promoted beforehand surely the worst that could then happen is that an intransigent copyright owner be flushed out of the woodwork?
    I can see that (& why) you never studied law

Broadcast the disclaimer where? Where do you "widely promote" your disclaimer? What makes you think that any copyright holder will see it?

Steve

Comment

Dunno.... vainly hoping the industry had some standard "go to" outlet (akin to "The Stage" for theatrical/actor announcements) maybe? or the way that (I'm told) invitations to pursue claims on a deceased person's estate have to be announced in the London Times (even if the deceased never went anywhere near London in their life) with a sort of "Speak now or forever hold your peace" type deadline.

You're correct, I've never studied law, but I can well believe copyright law is a quagmire. Presumably it would be very very difficult for anyone to prove they did hold copyright in the case of these long unseen "orphan" items?

We live in hope.

Comment

You guys need a law that allows that stuff to be released after due diligence is taken to find the copyright owner with the law codifying those steps.

Comment

Originally posted by will View Post
          You guys need a law that allows that stuff to be released after due diligence is taken to find the copyright owner with the law codifying those steps.
          Not just "you guys". It's a worldwide problem

Although Americans do have the luxury of "public domain" were, if a copyright isn't renewed regularly, an item falls into "public domain" and can be used by anyone. But that doesn't affect things that are still in copyright

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X