Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Cut line from The Happiest days of your life (1950)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut line from The Happiest days of your life (1950)

I've just watched the comedy The Happiest Days of Your Life on the BBC iplayer, it's there until the 16th march, and there's a scene about 44 minutes in where Alastair Sim is teaching some schoolboys in the hallway of the school and he says 'What do you propose we ought to do with trumpet?' just as he says that Margaret Rutherford drags a schoolgirl in front of him and the girl turns to say something but whatever she says is cut from the film. There's just a shot of Alastair Sim looking crestfallen. Does anyone know what the missing line is?

In my old copy of the film, Michael, we only see the schoolgirl Margaret give a quick look at Alastair Sim as she is dragged past him then we cut to a close-up of his exasperated face and we hear Margaret Rutherford OOV ticking her off, i.e. the schoolgirl doesn't say anything.

Comment

Yes, I've got the DVD of this film and it's exactly as Gerald Lovell describes. She says nothing.

Comment

[FONT=arial]Perhaps a confusion of trumpet and crumpet that was considered risque?[/FONT]

Comment

Or maybe confusing trumpet with strumpet? :)

Steve

Comment

I was imagining the girl made some sort of smart reply that the film censor cut out. But maybe it was all in my own head. A week of detention and a hundred lines for me I think.

Comment

There is a line like that in "The Wild Geese". Richard Burton explains his flight (British Airways Concord) to meet Sir Edward Matherson and refers to the "Rushed Meal" on the plane. I'm no lip reader but he don't say rushed meal. Derogatory would be my guess and its removal so as to not upset BA.

Comment

Interesting about The Wild Geese - never noticed that. I'll have to check it out.

Comment

I'll bet he'd have said something worse if he'd have flown by Ryanair !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X