Film Release Date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Release Date

Does anyone have a UK release date for the Harry Alan Towers produced movie The Million Eyes of Sumuru? (or Sumuru as I believe the movie was called in the UK).

Some sources say November 1967, while others state 3rd December 1967.

I've got in my diary from 1967 as December 3 of that year, being the second half of a Sax Rohmer double-bill with the Warner-Pathe main feature Vengeance of Fu Manchu. December 3 of that year was a Sunday, therefore straight on to ABC General Release without a proper West End presentation. However, such features did tend to surface just a few days earlier on the Thursday of Friday of its General Release day at the ABC's Edgware Road and Fulham Road.

Comment

Rick

Many thanks for coming back, I'd never considered that Sumuru could have been part of a Sax Rohmer double bill.

Comment

If I remember correctly, our posters expert Joe Fraguela will have an original poster of this double-bill. If so it will have appeared on the former Britmovie archive, but dunno if/how these archives have been retrieved in the changeover. in forthcoming weeks i'll try and and get a listing of it alongside other releases of that week's new presentations.

Comment

Actually Mikey, the poster is illustrated on this website here
          [url]http://www.chantrellposter.com/SumuruThe-Vengeance-of-Fu-Manchu-Quad-Poster-Original/268[/url]

I have in mind for some reason that for nationwide release the newspaper adverts exchanged the titles around in order for what customer feedback at the time regarded popularity preference. See what comes up in due course, maybe.

Comment

Rick

Thanks for the link. American prints are called The Million Eyes of Sumuru, British prints are Sumuru, with both crediting the production company as Sumuru Films Ltd, German prints are also Sumuru and have a different soundtrack (heavy brass incidentals as opposed to Oriental sounding cues) plus co-credit Constantin as the production company.

Comment

Working...
            X