Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Film Release Date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film Release Date

Does anyone have a UK release date for the Harry Alan Towers produced movie The Million Eyes of Sumuru? (or Sumuru as I believe the movie was called in the UK).

Some sources say November 1967, while others state 3rd December 1967.

I've got in my diary from 1967 as December 3 of that year, being the second half of a Sax Rohmer double-bill with the Warner-Pathe main feature Vengeance of Fu Manchu. December 3 of that year was a Sunday, therefore straight on to ABC General Release without a proper West End presentation. However, such features did tend to surface just a few days earlier on the Thursday of Friday of its General Release day at the ABC's Edgware Road and Fulham Road.

Comment

Rick

Many thanks for coming back, I'd never considered that Sumuru could have been part of a Sax Rohmer double bill.

Comment

If I remember correctly, our posters expert Joe Fraguela will have an original poster of this double-bill. If so it will have appeared on the former Britmovie archive, but dunno if/how these archives have been retrieved in the changeover. in forthcoming weeks i'll try and and get a listing of it alongside other releases of that week's new presentations.

Comment

Actually Mikey, the poster is illustrated on this website here
          [url]http://www.chantrellposter.com/SumuruThe-Vengeance-of-Fu-Manchu-Quad-Poster-Original/268[/url]

I have in mind for some reason that for nationwide release the newspaper adverts exchanged the titles around in order for what customer feedback at the time regarded popularity preference. See what comes up in due course, maybe.

Comment

Rick

Thanks for the link. American prints are called The Million Eyes of Sumuru, British prints are Sumuru, with both crediting the production company as Sumuru Films Ltd, German prints are also Sumuru and have a different soundtrack (heavy brass incidentals as opposed to Oriental sounding cues) plus co-credit Constantin as the production company.

Comment

Rick

Would your extensive notes stretch to providing a UK release date for the sixties Bond film, which wasn't a Bond film, known as Operation Kid Brother (aka OK Connery) starring Sean Connery's younger brother Neil and produced in Italy. I have managed to track the date down to a month... May 1968. I'd be most grateful if you could give me an exact date within the month. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Trust me to endeavour to look up a date for this one over the weekend Mikey-if its there. It was a London Pavilion first showing; its General Release may well have been with an 'X' certificate film "Beach Red" which went on Rank North London release on 5 May, 1968.

Hope this helps (a bit)

Rick .

Comment

Rick

Many, many thanks, only 8 minutes to provide the answer, that's impressive even for Brit Movie.

Just as another question, for all Brit Movie patrons, there seems to be very little out there surrounding the production of Operation Kid Brother. I'm aware of how the film came about and that there were a number of performers who had appeared in the Eon Productions' Bond movies playing different roles in this picture. Could anyone point me in the right direction to obtain more information about this movie?

Again thanks in advance.
                  Last edited by Mikey; 7th April 2017, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Hi, Mikey. The Daily Express cinema listings indicate that Operation Kid Brother, an A-Certificate film, replaced Beach Red (X) at the London Pavilion on 25th April 1968.

According to the Daily Mirror, this was to be the film debut of Karin Malik, but she isn't included in IMDb's cast (she doesn't even have a filmography). I can send Don Short's article "Operation Kid Brother", from the same paper's 29th December 1966 edition, if you don't have it.
                    Last edited by cornershop15; 8th April 2017, 01:12 AM. Reason: Britmovie tools not doing their job (unable to change to bold and italics).

Comment

And you probably already know that it is on YouTube ("Operation Kid Brother")... or was a few months ago when I saw it.

Comment

[QUOTE=cornershop15;n2717]Hi, Mikey. The Daily Express cinema listings indicate that Operation Kid Brother, an A-Certificate film, replaced Beach Red (X) at the London Pavilion on 25th April 1968.

According to the Daily Mirror, this was to be the film debut of Karin Malik, but she isn't included in IMDb's cast (she doesn't even have a filmography). I can send Don Short's article "Operation Kid Brother", from the same paper's 29th December 1966 edition, if you don't have it.[/QUOTE]

Hi Cornershop

Thanks for providing the additional information. Would you happen to have dates for the information from the Daily Express and the Daily Mirror?

The Karin Malik information is extremely interesting as a search of the net reveals nothing. I suppose she could have been the producer's girlfriend and they split up before the movie was made.

Many thanks for the offer of the article, I do not have a copy and I'll send you an email shortly.

Comment

[QUOTE=StoneAgeMan;n2734]And you probably already know that it is on YouTube ("Operation Kid Brother")... or was a few months ago when I saw it.[/QUOTE]

StoneAgeMan

Yes, I know, but thanks for taking the time to comment on the thread. There are actually two copies on You Tube one in English (which I watched this afternoon) and one in Italian.

Will be going back later to see if I can identify any filming locations. Some were obvious like airports with the place name on top of the terminal building and panoramic establishing shots of places mentioned in the dialogue. The castle near Munich was in fact Feris Castle in Italy, near the border with Switzerland. Two minutes searching on the net got that one.

Comment

Working...
                          X