Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Films shown on telly with the BBFC certificate before them.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films shown on telly with the BBFC certificate before them.

How common was this?
    Did this happen in the 80s/90s, if so when?
    It's common on the obscure satellite channels.

Channel 4 / More 4 have on occasion shown the original certificates, but I don't recall the BBC or ITV ever showing them. As for satellite channels, yes some do - but others such as Sky Movies just show one of their own 'certificate' designs rather than the original BBFC certificate. Even on DVD's you only see them on some film releases, but there are many that don't include them.

Comment

TPTV have their own certificate designs too.

Comment

[QUOTE=Madeleymade;n38901]TPTV have their own certificate designs too.[/QUOTE]

And usually a fruity voice-over to accompany them. I particularly like the way he says "U". :D

Comment

This was quite unusual, but here are a few that I know were transmitted with the original BBFC boards: (I have the original tapes!)

Good Morning Boys (1937) C4
          One way out (1955) ITV Night time
          Hungry Hill (1946) C4
          San Demetrio London (1943) C4
          Banana ridge (1941) BBC2

Possibly some more if I think hard.

MrT

Comment

Yes, this is what I'm looking for. Was this in the 80s, early 90s?

Comment

I think partly the reason the BBFC card shows up is that when any pre-print film material is used, for theatrical release printing, the card is physically cut into the material. It is then up to the individual company involved whether they include it in their transfer.
              Of the few film transfers that I have been involved with, if the BBFC card is there, I would always include it as it is part of the viewing experience to those that remember it when they saw the film on its original release.
              There is only one that I recall that I was involved with and that was the DVD of "THE TROLLENBERG TERROR"(aka "CRAWLING EYE") and the BBFC card was tagged on to the head of the 35mm b/w fine-grain master that I transferred from at the 'Machine Room', located in London, ten or more years ago.

Comment

[QUOTE=Madeleymade;n38864]How common was this?
                Did this happen in the 80s/90s, if so when?
                [/QUOTE]

Are you just looking for films specifically shown during this period? I'd have to try and find which films they are, but I know I have recorded onto DVD's films shown on Channel 4 and More 4 around the 2007 to 2010 period where some did include the BBFC certificate. Off the top of my head, I don't recall which titles had the certificates as I recorded quite a number of them back then, and many did not include it. I do know they were all black & white films from around the 1940s.

I remember back in the late 80s/early 90s Channel 4 went through a phase where for some bizarre reason, they omitted the studio logos unless the film music began as soon as the logo appeared. For example, if the 20th Century Fox logo was accompanied by its usual fanfare, then this would be missing from Channel 4's screening and the film would start immediately on the opening titles. I had several examples on VHS - sadly long gone now. Somebody even went as far as to write a letter in the TV Times asking about this, I remember.

Comment

Yes, specifically, it just that I think it makes the BBFC logo count as part of the film, therefore putting all films released in UK in the same canon/pantheon.

Comment

Channel 4 showed an abridged version of The One That Got Away (1957) with the BBFC cert on screen.

Comment

When was this, 80s? 90s? early 2000s?

Comment

[QUOTE=Madeleymade;n39410]When was this, 80s? 90s? early 2000s?[/QUOTE]

90's I think.

Comment

Here's a couple more that were transmitted on Film Four about 5 - 10 years ago complete with the BBFC boards:

Behind the headlines 1956
                          Time Lock 1957

MrT

Comment

Working...
                          X