Islamic Extremism in film

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islamic Extremism in film

How do you think Islamic extremism is represented in the film industry?

Well, at the moment, it is happening outside our office window, by the sound of it! :eek:

Comment

[QUOTE=zabadak;n47407]Well, at the moment, it is happening outside our office window, by the sound of it! [/QUOTE]
      Where’s that then?

Steve

Comment

Probably Oxford Street, although apparently the police could find no evidence of any actual attack.

Comment

Probably just someone setting off some fireworks and too many people made nervous by misleading media reports

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=Pablo Bustamante;n47280]How do you think Islamic extremism is represented in the film industry?[/QUOTE]

What is your opinion and what particular films do you have in mind?

Comment

• Pablo Bustamante
              Pablo Bustamante commented
              Editing a comment
              I think some aspects of extremism and their lifestyles are accurately represented but on the whole I think most films demonise extremists. They show them as people who are born evil without exploring the reasons behind their views or giving them any sort of relatable or redeeming qualities.
              In terms of films I'm looking at United '93, Four lions and Munich.

[QUOTE=Bonekicker;n47477]Probably Oxford Street, although apparently the police could find no evidence of any actual attack.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - false alarm, thankfully... :)

Comment

• Pablo Bustamante
              Editing a comment
              interesting as it is, I really need some relevant answers so if anyone has any please comment
              Last edited by Pablo Bustamante; 8th December 2017, 01:15 PM.

Pablo, are you asking how Islamic extremism is represented in the British film industry?

Comment

• Pablo Bustamante
              Editing a comment
              just in general, but if you have any opinions on the british film industry that would be helpful too.

[QUOTE=jamal.nazreddin;n51306]Pablo, are you asking how Islamic extremism is represented in the British film industry?
            [/QUOTE]

In his comment posted into my post #6, Pablo has cited three films in particular:

United 93 (2006)
            ~ On September 11, 2001, two American Airlines and two United Airlines domestic U.S. flights are hijacked by terrorists. After the collision of two planes against the World Trade Center and one against the Pentagon, the passengers and crew of United Flight 93 decide to struggle against the four terrorists to take back the control of the airplane.

Munich (2005)
            ~ After Black September's assassination of Israeli athletes at the Munich Olympics in 1972, Prime Minister Golda Meir okays a black-box operation to hunt down and kill all involved.

Four Lions (2010)
            ~ Four Lions tells the story of a group of British jihadists who push their abstract dreams of glory to the breaking point. As the wheels fly off, and their competing ideologies clash, what emerges is an emotionally engaging (and entirely plausible) farce. In a storm of razor-sharp verbal jousting and large-scale set pieces, Four Lions is a comic tour de force; it shows that-while terrorism is about ideology-it can also be about idiots. [I]Written by [URL="http://www.imdb.com/search/title?plot_author=Sundance%20Film%20Festival&view=simple&sort=alpha&ref_=tt_stry_pl"]Sundance Film Festival[/URL][/I]

(Storylines copied from the IMDb)

I'm afraid I haven't seen any of them, so I'm unable to comment, however, I'm not sure if Four Lions warrants a mention, because apparently it's a farce, presenting crude characterisations of the jihadists. Wouldn't it be rather like discussing Hogan's Heroes as a serious representation of Nazi prison warders?

Comment

Working...
            X