Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

What became of SOLDIERS WITHOUT UNIFORM (UK 1941) ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Sweeney Todd;n51930]Yes, I even sent them corrections for my own IMBd page: [URL]http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1485462/?ref_=fn_nm_nm_2[/URL]

And in spite of this they continue to print erroneous informations.

In the past it was impossible to make them admit that Stella Vitelleschi and Stella Rho were the same person, even when I mentioned her own autobiography, "Out of My Coffin", and the fact that the "Mrs. Lovett" of SWEENEY TODD (1936) and the servant of Charlton Heston in BEN-HUR (1959) and some other Italian movies are visibly the same woman even after 23 years. Finally another person came and the two IMDb pages were mixed together. But it took months and frankly, I have better use of my time...[/QUOTE]

When did you make the submission to correct these? What's the submission reference? (The first 6 digits are the date)
    Remember that many people are on holiday at the moment so we must expect changes to take longer than usual

[quote]and frankly, I have better use of my time...[/QUOTE]
    what are you doing that's so important, and is more important than getting this information corrected? :)

Steve

Comment

IMDb will change their info, but you must have proof.

A few years ago, I submitted a correction to Rita Tushingham's birthdate. IMDb had the year listed as 1940, when it's actually 1942. They didn't believe me without proof. I finally had to ask Rita to send me a scan of her passport. IMDb was finally convinced, and they fixed their listing.

From my perspective, it was like pulling teeth. From their perspective, they were protecting the integrity of their database from spurious inputs.

Comment

[QUOTE=rjd0309;n51943]IMDb will change their info, but you must have proof.

A few years ago, I submitted a correction to Rita Tushingham's birthdate. IMDb had the year listed as 1940, when it's actually 1942. They didn't believe me without proof. I finally had to ask Rita to send me a scan of her passport. IMDb was finally convinced, and they fixed their listing.

From my perspective, it was like pulling teeth. From their perspective, they were protecting the integrity of their database from spurious inputs.
        [/QUOTE]

And you must remember that they get many thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of submissions each day. Each one must be checked to make sure it's reasonable (they can't always watch the film or TV show to check) so they [B][I]must[/I][/B] have proof of any changes or rely on your reputation

Steve

Comment

Quote: "what are you doing that's so important, and is more important than getting this information corrected?

I'm just writing a book on a neglected British actor, to be published in France this year (I hope) and have myriads of facts to verify (and I always use the original pieces - for instance if I write that a person was born, say, in July 13, 1924 - this means that I have a xerox of his/her birth act...)
          In the case of Duvivier's MARIANNE DE MA JEUNESSE, the director made the same gag in both German and French versions. As you probably know, Horst Buchholz and Udo Vioff are the stars in the German version, and Pierre Vaneck and Gil Vidal play the same role in the French one. Well, during the sequence where Buchholz (or Vaneck) play music and sings before the other students, in a single shot, Duvivier showed Buchholz and Vioff among the students in the French version, and - of course - Vaneck and Vidal among the ones in the German version. It's their only appearance in the entire movie(s).
          So, technically speaking, the four actors appear in BOTH versions, playing a featured character, AND an anonymous student.
          Of course this observation was based on FACTS, as I have both versions on DVD-rs, both having been broadcast on French television.
          I explained all this to the IMDb staff, and for a time, each of these actors was credited for a character, and a "bit" in both versions.
          Then someone suppressed the "bit" element... don't ask me why.
          The big problem comes from the fact that they made only one page for two different films - but Vaneck/Buchholz and Vidal/Vioff were NOT the only actors to be replaced by another in the "other version".

And how many times must I tell them than "Le passe-muraille" and "Mr Peek-a-Boo" are TWO different movies (just as the two Universal's "Dracula"), than Christian-Jaque's "Singoalla" was made in THREE different versions, all of them starring Viveca Lindfors but with some actors changed, as well as a totally different ending for the English-language version ?

If they made - and rightly so - different entries for the foreign-language versions of "Pardon Us" (but they forgot the Italian one !) and some of the duo's shorts, just tell me WHY they didn't make the same thing for these features ?
          Last edited by Sweeney Todd; 3rd January 2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sweeney Todd;n52129]
            And how many times must I tell them than "Le passe-muraille" and "Mr Peek-a-Boo" are TWO different movies (just as the two Universal's "Dracula"), than Christian-Jaque's "Singoalla" was made in THREE different versions, all of them starring Viveca Lindfors but with some actors changed, as well as a totally different ending for the English-language version ?[/QUOTE]
            Just once should be enough, as long as you provide some proof. Even if they've decided to ignore you submissions in the past then they should still pay attention to any submissions provided with accurate proof, like a screen grab of the on-screen credits

Don't give up on them after a few simple submissions :)

Steve

Comment

I am very intrigued about "Le passe-muraille" and "Mr Peek-a-Boo" being TWO different movies. I enjoyed "Peek-a-Boo" on Youtube last week.

Are they really different or just spoken (or dubbed) in the two languages?

Comment

They are two different movies,both by the same director (Jean Boyer), shot simultaneously but with partially different casts. Bourvil and Joan Greenwood being in both versions. Each scene (with the possible exception of the SPFX) was filmed twice. It wasn't rare in the 1950s, if you consider that "Barbe-Bleue / Blaubart" (Christian-Jaque) was shot twice, "Singoalla" (Christian-Jaque again) three times, "Les mains d'Orlac / Hands of Orlac" (Edmond T. Gréville) twice (but with exactly the same cast), "Marianne de ma jeunesse" (Julien Duvivier) twice, etc. Below are two captions from the "same" scène from "Le passe-muraille".

Comment

Working...
                X