Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

A Dandy in Aspic (1968) Release Date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dandy in Aspic (1968) Release Date

Would anyone out there have a release date for the sixties spy movie A Dandy in Aspic?

Plus, can anyone explain what the title means?

I would think that the dandy is a reference to the main character Eberlin, but further than that I don’t really know.

According to the May 1968 issue of Films & Filming, A Dandy In Aspic went out on the Rank Circuit for general release on 28 April 1968 alongside the re-issued 1953 Marlon Brando film The Wild One.

Comment

A Dandy In Aspic received a small review in the July 1968 issue of Films and Filming.

Comment

[QUOTE=Joe Fraguela;n53362]According to the May 1968 issue of Films & Filming, A Dandy In Aspic went out on the Rank Circuit for general release on 28 April 1968 alongside the re-issued 1953 Marlon Brando film The Wild One.[/QUOTE]

Joe

Many thanks that was exceptionally quick, 9 minutes. That has to be a record unless someone knows different.

I'm still interested in discovering what the film title A Dandy in Aspic is all about.

Hopefully someone can tell me.

Comment

“Hopefully someone can tell me.”

There’s a plot summary & synopsis at the IMDb
          [URL]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062859/[/URL]

Steve

Comment

Steve

Yes, I know there's a synopsis over at IMDB, but the title does not make sense as there is no such place as Aspic and IMDB does not give an explanation. I would say it refers to the dandy being in a situation beyond his control, but I'm hoping that one of the many knowledgeable BritMovie patrons will confirm that and/or give a full explanation.

Comment

Saying something is “... in aspic” usually means that it’s preserved. Look up Aspic on Wikipedia

​​​​​​ Steve

Comment

Steve

Having consulted Wikipedia...

Aspic is a dish in which ingredients are set into a gelatine made from a meat stock or consommé. Non-savoury dishes, often made with commercial gelatine mixes without stock or consommé, are usually called gelatine salads.

To a degree the central character of the film Eberlin played by Laurence Harvey is caught up in an Aspic (not really a term I would use, but there you are). He has been a double agent for the Russians for 18 years and now he wants to return to him homeland, but discovers that they don't want him. Thus, he's in West Berlin during the Cold War attempting to get over the border, while all the time fearing that British Intelligence will discover his true identity. There is a twist in the tail ending to the film, which I won't give away in case anyone wants to watch this.
                Last edited by Mikey; 31st January 2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

dandy in Aspic was very first released at the Columbia cinema Shaftesbury Avenue on its own in March(?) 1968. Exact date somewhere but not readily available. i have an original newspaper advertisement of both the original release and also its partnership with The wild One for its General Release. Also the original paperback film tie-in novel.
                  Last edited by Rick C; 31st January 2018, 09:06 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Rick C;n53446]dandy in Aspic was very first released at the Columbia cinema Shaftesbury Avenue on its own in March(?) 1968. Exact date somewhere but not readily available. i have an original newspaper advertisement of both the original release and also its partnership with The wild One for its General Release. Also the original paperback film tie-in novel.[/QUOTE]

A Dandy in Aspic opened at the Columbia on April 11th 1968 for a two week run before being replaced by A Man for All Seasons, which had finished a years run at the Odeon Haymarket a few weeks earlier and had a further 15 weeks at the Columbia. As mentioned earlier, the general release began on April 28th with the North London leg. It's coupling with The Wild One represented that films first general release, having played at the Columbia for four weeks from Feb. 15th 1968, after finally being passed by the BBFC in November 1967

Comment

Rick and Odeonman

Many thanks for the release information regarding A Dandy in Aspic, all good stuff.

Comment

Some good theories here, Mikey, if you follow the (untidy) link below.:

[url]https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.usage.english/eweRAP7iUiU[/url]

(A dandy in Aspic! What's Aspic? - Google Groups)

Isabelle C's interpretation is the one I like best:

"The general idea would be of somebody trapped and unable to escape his fate."

Comment

[QUOTE=cornershop15;n53469]Some good theories here, Mikey, if you follow the (untidy) link below.:

[url]https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.usage.english/eweRAP7iUiU[/url]

(A dandy in Aspic! What's Aspic? - Google Groups)

Isabelle C's interpretation is the one I like best:

"The general idea would be of somebody trapped and unable to escape his fate."[/QUOTE]

cornershop

Thanks for dropping by, its always good to see you.

Yes, Isabelle C's definition seems appropriate. The opening titles of the puppet getting caught up in its own strings also emphasizes this.

Comment

I took it to mean something preserved, rather than trapped. Preserved within something, and can't be reached except by destroying the whole thing.
                            I might add that I didn't much like the film, and only bought it because I LOVED the title.

Comment

Seaton

Having watched a great many sixties spy films, I have to say that A Dandy in Aspic is a different type of spy movie. If only for that reason I found it enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                              X