Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

'a film by Mike Leigh'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'a film by Mike Leigh'

I rather like those satires that the Harry Enfield team make. They have made some convincing 'homages' to 'Brief Encounter' and 'A Matter of Life and Death'.

This episode commences with a short two minute tribute to 'a film by Mike Leigh'.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da_ZQamG0os&t=652s[/url]

Now I have been avoiding films by Mike Leigh. So I'm wondering if this is a tribute to one particular film by Mike Leigh or all of them in general.

> "Now I have been avoiding films by Mike Leigh."

Why?

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=jamal.nazreddin;n58287]
      Now I have been avoiding films by Mike Leigh. [/QUOTE]

Is this one of your 'tongue in cheek' posts? :confused:

Comment

I love Mike lee films. He is great

Comment

[QUOTE=googiefan;n58316]I love Mike lee films. He is great [/QUOTE]

Do you recognise these characters in this two minute clip in the link?

I'm guessing that's Lesley Manville playing the woman in the kitchen pressing food on her men-folk for their 'din-dins'.

Comment

If you think that that bears any relation to any Mike Leigh film then I suggest that you watch some Mike Leigh films.

And for a spoof of A Matter of Life and Death, you’d be hard pressed to better the one from Big Train.
            A wickedly funny spoof made by Simon Pegg, Kevin Eldon, Mark Heap and Amelia Bullmore in their Big Train sketch show. It's done with a lot of knowledge about and obvious love of the film.

See [URL]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tv9K3rPBkPU[/URL]

Steve

Comment

Well it seems Lesley Manville has played in seven Leigh films.

So the woman offering 'din-dins' is one of those seven.

Comment

I really like Lesley manville as well she is great. I first saw her in Mike Leigh’s grown ups. I love that play.

Comment

Lesley Manville appeared in Mike Leigh's 'Topsy Turvy' in 1999 (which was the last Mike Leigh movie for which I paid out money to see in a cinema).

So the TV satire about the unhappy family must refer to one of the remaining six.

Comment

Vera Drake is one of my favourite britmovies, not because of the topic of the film, but has it has the creme-de-la-creme of home-grown talent in it's cast (including 'Mum' star, Lesley Manville), a very authentic portrayal of a 1950 Britain also.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mark O;n58436]...a very authentic portrayal of a 1950 Britain also.[/QUOTE]

Indeed it is Mark. The authenticity of time, place, and people is one of the great strengths of his films. Why on earth the OP chooses to avoid his films is beyond me.

Comment

Re #10

So 'Vera Drake' is a period film. And so is 'Mr Turner'.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da_ZQamG0os&t=652s[/url]

So this short two minute tribute to 'a film by Mike Leigh' must be one of the remaining four films.

Comment

It's primarily based on 'Life is Sweet' (1990) Alison Steadman's character is the one who constantly asks people if they'd 'like a lickle sandwich'.
                          Directed by Mike Leigh. With Alison Steadman, Jim Broadbent, Claire Skinner, Jane Horrocks. A shop assistant, her cook husband, & their twin daughters ponder their lives over a few weeks in a working-class suburb north of London.

Comment

^ Ah, thank you. I must seek it out and compare it to the Harry Enfield version.

As I said earlier, some of the Harry Enfield satires are extremely astute in terms of decor and characterisation. But this one seemed cartoonish with its gross depiction of the Young Urban Professional in the street and the two childlike, middle-aged men around the kitchen table infantilised by the dominant woman and by the UK Welfare State.

Comment

Working...
                            X