Is it offensive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it offensive?

Is it offensive to talk about Hitchcock’s Blondes?

Madeleine Carroll, Nova Pilbeam, Anny Ondra, Joan Barry and the others all had their own attributes but is it offensive to corral them together like cattle and brand them as ‘Hitchcock Blondes’?

I can't see why simply calling them "Hitchcock Blondes" would be offensive, however, using the words "corral them together like cattle and brand them" is rather crass and unnecessary.

Comment

I think it's fair to use the term Hitchcock's Blondes as it is how he saw them, isn't it? It's not a coincidence that this very powerful and controlling director always starred a blonde in the main role. He demanded that platinum or gold focus throughout the film, for whatever reasons, so I think the phrase is fine.

And on the subject of "offensive" (although not relevant here - but that never stops me) ... I think we should all give up being "offended" and start getting ANGRY again. "I'm offended" is a useless and self-regarding reaction to something.

Comment

I think that only females on here would get offended by the OP and some males would defend it.
        Last edited by Metro1962; 15th March 2019, 02:22 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Metro1962;n68938]I think that only females on here would get offended by the OP and some males would defend it.[/QUOTE]

I think some women and some men might be offended by the OP. I mean, there's no evidence of it happening so far, but they might.
          I also think they would be wrong regardless of gender.

Comment

[QUOTE=Metro1962;n68938]I think that only females on here would get offended by the OP and some males would defend it.[/QUOTE]

OMG !! From where do you draw these assumptions you continually come up with ??

Comment

[QUOTE=arthur linden-jones;n68963]

OMG !! From where do you draw these assumptions you continually come up with ??[/QUOTE]

Excellent question.

Comment

[QUOTE=Seaton;n68932]
                And on the subject of "offensive" (although not relevant here - but that never stops me) ... I think we should all give up being "offended" and start getting ANGRY again. "I'm offended" is a useless and self-regarding reaction to something.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Someone said to me the other day that the "offence industry" is the fastest growing industry of this decade.
                "Industry" might not be quite the right word, but I know what he means!

Comment

Offence is irrelevant, it's par for the course misogyny, why not ask, 'where would Hitchcock's career have been without them?'

Comment

Some members of my Film Discussion Group objected to the term ‘Hitchcock Blondes’ saying it was ‘reductionist and demeaning’. And they said the possessive term ‘Hitchcock’s Blondes’ made them sound like ‘chattel’.

I would have thought all screen performers sign a contract stating the director has the power to control everything and every human being seen on the screen. Hitchcock may have said ‘All actors are cattle’ in 1940* sparking blonde Carole Lombard to bring in some young cattle and have them corralled on Hitchcock’s film set.

But this on-screen controlling is different from off-screen control. And I’m frankly sceptical of the lurid gossip about Hitchcock’s off-screen control of Tippi Hedren.

[url]https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/08/01/all-actors-are-cattle/[/url]

Comment

[QUOTE=arthur linden-jones;n68963]

OMG !! From where do you draw these assumptions you continually come up with ??[/QUOTE]

I am not assuming anything but pretty obvious that females and males on here would get offended by the OP and some females/males would defend it.:rolleyes:

Comment

[QUOTE] I am not assuming anything but pretty obvious... [/QUOTE]

If that's not an assumption, what is? :rolleyes:

Comment

[QUOTE=Metro1962;n69099]

I am not assuming anything but pretty obvious that ... [/QUOTE]

As narabdela says, that's what "assumption" means.

But anyway, on the 15th of March you said
                          "I think that only females on here would get offended by the OP and some males would defend it."
                          which is opposite to your defence, claiming you said
                          "females and males on here would get offended by the OP and some females/males would defend it"

What is your game, Metro1962?

​​​​​Particularly since, so far, nobody has said they are offended, male or female.

What are you trying to achieve by attempting to rattle cages?

(sees Metro1962 rolling his eyes. Picks them up and rolls them back.)

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave Evans;n69001]Offence is irrelevant, it's par for the course misogyny, why not ask, 'where would Hitchcock's career have been without them?'[/QUOTE]

Or indeed, WHAT would his career have been ... But I'm a bit confused by "par for the course misogyny". On whose part? Hitchcock's, for using the blonde icon, or the OP's phrase "Hitchcock's Blondes"?

Comment

Hitchcock used dark-haired actresses in Britain (Margaret Lockwood, Silvia Sydney, Maureen O'Hara and Jessie Matthews).

But I guess he had the money to purchase (and exercise his preference for) blondes when when he worked in the U.S.

Comment

Working...
                              X