Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

"The Sable Scarf" - British release 1953

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Sable Scarf" - British release 1953

Is there any information available on the British release of "The Sable Scarf" classified 4/11/53. This was released by Paramount Film Service Ltd as a 27-minute short.

I know that Paramount released the same story as one of its six 'Calling Scotland Yard' featurettes early the following year - I am hoping to find out if the British version was the same as the American version.

Ideally I'd like to find out that Gilbert Harding was The Storyteller' in the British version rather than Paul Douglas.

PS. All the 'Calling Scotland Yard' films came from a failed Paramount TV series called 'Mayfair Mystery House' - the episodes were being shown in British cinemas while Paramount was still looking for a TV outlet in the US. Most of the episodes had individual BBFC certification - but other than two Gilbert Harding triple bills, "The Sable Scarf" is the only one I can find a confirmed screening for in the UK.
    Last edited by Anthony McKay; 25th June 2017, 11:44 AM.

I can't find a circuit release for it in my records, but it was released to the independents, as it was shown for three days at the Broadway, Meir, Stoke on Trent, on Thursday, April 1st, 1954, as the support to Paramount's "Roman Holiday". When "Roman Holiday" was shown at the Odeon, Hanley, Stoke on Trent, in November, 1953, it had a different supporting film with it.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 25th June 2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks - armed with that knowledge I went digging - no mention of Gilbert Harding or Paul Douglas nor 'Calling Scotland Yard'or 'Mayfair Mystery House' - but all 13 episodes of the series were given certification - and all the titles I've plugged into search engines so far have had UK screenings.

I also checked on the Danziger 'The Vice' series and ABPC distributed 39 of them as (26 minutes and 45 seconds) shorts and Eros 2 of them. This is on top of the 3-episode and 2-episode compilations distributed by Paramount.

Comment

Working...
      X