Films on TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Films on TV

Back in the day, I remember guidelines (and it maybe been formal or informal) as to how soon a movie could play on television after its cinema release. I am talking about the 1970s here, and I vaguely remember 5 years as the timescale- but that could be completely wrong.

Can anyone throw any facts on my dim memories?

I think that used to be the case - but no longer

Steve

Comment

It use to go something like this.....

Cinema
      On Video (up to 3 years? )
      On TV

Comment

Yeah, I wondered if it was actually five years or did I make that up, and if this was just an ‘understanding’ or something binding?

Comment

[QUOTE=Paxton Milk;n78075]Yeah, I wondered if it was actually five years or did I make that up, and if this was just an ‘understanding’ or something binding?[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the timescale varied depending on the film, as it did on the odd occasion in the 1980's. Take E.T. (1982) for example - that took about 5 years before it even hit the rental video shelves and a further 3 years before the BBC broadcast it on Christmas Day 1990. But yes, I think the 5-year timescale would generally have been about right for the 1970's.

Comment

[QUOTE=Paxton Milk;n78068]Back in the day, I remember guidelines (and it maybe been formal or informal) as to how soon a movie could play on television after its cinema release. I am talking about the 1970s here, and I vaguely remember 5 years as the timescale- but that could be completely wrong.

Can anyone throw any facts on my dim memories?[/QUOTE]

I remember this too. I think it was 5 years so it could be shown on the Cinema circuit until it had used up it's value & then it was reduced to three years.
            This all changed when VHS systems came out & the money for distributors came from rentals!

Comment

right thats all before the copy protection gubbins came along then it was 2-3 years to video and then only2-3 years to TV .

Comment

Working...
              X