Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

'Gorgo' financial stats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Gorgo' financial stats

Anyone out there know the budget, boxoffice grosses or profit for the film 'Gorgo' - the Eddie Mannix Ledger stops about this time - but there may be some figure out there somewhere.

[QUOTE=Anthony McKay;n9211]Anyone out there know the budget, boxoffice grosses or profit for the film 'Gorgo' - the Eddie Mannix Ledger stops about this time - but there may be some figure out there somewhere.[/QUOTE]

According to the 'making-of' documentary on the Blu-ray, the total production cost was $650,000. Sadly it doesn't mention the box office takings, but merely says it was commercially very successful in both the USA and the UK. If memory serves me, I think they said it had some success in Japan too, even though they had the Godzilla films.

Comment

Thanks Carl,

Given the strange accounting of the Mannix Ledger (first subtract 1/3 of gross for M-G-M then take away promotional expenses) - this would need to have had a box office of around $2,000,000 to get into profit.

$650,000 is only double the cost of the six-week b&w quickies being made at the time such as 'Invasion Quartet' and 'Village of the Damned' - given all the model work, location work, colour processing and effects, I'm impressed they kept the costs so low.

Comment

You're welcome.

I was surprised myself how they managed to make this film for that amount, when you consider the budget for King Kong (1933) was the same amount (as mentioned in the documentary) and KK was made thirty years earlier. Apparently they had looked at Paris as a possible shooting location before finally deciding on London.

It's a decent film in my opinion. I love the old monster movies, and Gorgo used to pop up now and again on the TV schedules when I was a kid. I only came across it on Blu-ray quite by chance a couple of months ago.

Comment

From what I recall reading in the Kine Weekly "GORGO" was considered a failure at the box-office in the UK. It ran at the London Pavilion from October 27th 1961, it did well the first couple of weeks but weakened badly at the end of its run (see below)

All 35mm IB Technicolor prints for the US and the UK were made at Technicolor's London plant. An attempt was made to recall all US prints back to the UK after their run but the condition of the prints were so bad they were destroyed rather than pay customs on prints unsuitable for projection. Fortunately, at least one nice condition 35mm IB print survives in the US, which I have seen and also I own a 16mm IB print in good condition.

(For some reason the Imageshack clip will not show in the thread although it shows up in 'preview'. Does anybody, who uses Imageshack, know what the issue is?
          Last edited by Stephen Pickard; 25th August 2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Apparently it was 'big in Japan' as they say.

Comment

from the November 23rd issue of Kinematograph Weekly

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/imagizer.imageshack.us\/v2\/1280x1024q90\/922\/5m5Eqx.jpg"}[/IMG2]
              For some reason, I cannot upload a picture to this thread. I just uploaded another image to a different thread and it worked.
              Last edited by Stephen Pickard; 25th August 2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stephen Pickard;n20857]
                For some reason, I cannot upload a picture to this thread. I just uploaded another image to a different thread and it worked.[/QUOTE]

Was the thread in the "Ask A Film Question" section, or on another? I ask because there seems to be an issue on this particular part of the forum where the quotes don't show up correctly and links don't work the way they should for some reason. Sounds like a glitch somewhere as it doesn't seem to happen in the other sections of the forum.

Comment

Another try at post #7

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pm5m5Eqxj][IMG]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/922/5m5Eqx.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Comment

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"5m5Eqx.jpg","data-attachmentid":38933}[/ATTACH]
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Anthony McKay; 25th September 2017, 08:31 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stephen Pickard;n13386]From what I recall reading in the Kine Weekly "GORGO" was considered a failure at the box-office in the UK. It ran at the London Pavilion from October 27th 1961, it did well the first couple of weeks but weakened badly at the end of its run (see below)
                      [/QUOTE]

As the documentary on the disc was American-made, it could be they were being a little generous regarding the success of the film.

Comment

It got a re-release in the states on a double bill with "Captain Sinbad' in 1964.

Given the subject matter I Imagine the producer were aiming for an 'A' certificate rather than an 'X.'

Comment

Working...
                        X