The Tell-Tale Heart (1960)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tell-Tale Heart (1960)

So this is a low-budget movie from the Danziger stable, based on a piece by Edgar Alan Poe. It has been mentioned on this site before (the thread "watched last night") but I have a curiosity about the film which didn't fit into that thread.
    Where can I see it? Is it on Talking Pictures? How do you find out the schedules to work out when something is going to be shown? Is it just about looking in the listings magazines or scrolling ahead on the "guide" section on my Virgin Tivo box?

Made in 1960, four years before I was born. My mum was still working as an actress on TV, sometimes with lines, but usually as a Walk-on. This film comes up on her IMDb listing, but I've never seen it. She is playing "manageress", although that doesn't mean anything to me. I'd love to get some screengrabs to show her. She's recently celebrated her lockdown 93rd birthday and I haven't seen her in months (I've been working 5 days a week exposed to the ghastly public). I haven't asked her about this one yet, so I have no idea about her involvement, or what stories might be forthcoming... I was hoping to get hold of some pictures first.

So has anyone here got a copy of this creaky old film that they could grab some pictures from?

[url]https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056565/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4[/url]

[url]https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/[/url]

Comment

Thanks Nick, I'll put a bookmark on that one! ;):D​​​​​​​

Comment

It's well worth getting the "Danziger Brothers classic Collection" box set.
        "The Tell Tale Heart" is among the films included & there are some marvelous interviews with actors & film crew.
        Brian "speaking clock" Cobby has some hilarious comments about his career which includes his appearance in "The Tell Tale Heart"!

Comment

Thanks Wadsy, I see it on Amazon, 4-DVD set, just £12.94 and free delivery for Prime customers.
          Now I just need to persuade my wife that it is a good idea.

Comment

Okay so I cheated a but and found it on YouTube.

Oh dear. Opening credits show the film title, then the three lead actors, then a page of 7 more names where Pamela Plant (my mum) is listed fourth. Wow, I can't wait! Watched it through and she appears in just one scene, from the side and utters the bland single line "I think you can go now Betty". Her face is turned, with just a brief profile of her massive nose and then she's gtone. That's it!
            So, I might still get the DVD, but now I know I'm not missing much.
            Last edited by StoneAgeMan; 2 August 2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=StoneAgeMan;n92721]Okay so I cheated a but and found it on YouTube.

Oh dear. Opening credits show the film title, then the three lead actors, then a page of 7 more names where Pamela Plant (my mum) is listed fourth. Wow, I can't wait! Watched it through and she appears in just one scene, from the side and utters the bland singles line "I think you can go now Betty". Her face is turned, with just a brief profile of her massive nose and then she's gone. That's it!
              So, I might still get the DVD, but now I know I'm not missing much.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about your mum but the DVD is worth it for the interviews alone, believe me. There are some very funny anecdotes.

Comment

Can anyone confirm whether the Danziger Collection 4-DVD set has a better copy of the film than the version found on YouTube?
                [url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMJVfeQmIk[/url]

Comment

I think we might all enjoy the interviews... thanks Wadsy

Comment

[QUOTE=StoneAgeMan;n92726]Can anyone confirm whether the Danziger Collection 4-DVD set has a better copy of the film than the version found on YouTube?
                    [URL]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0XMJVfeQmIk[/URL][/QUOTE]

I just had a check on my DVD & the quality of the film is mostly excellent (a few spotty bits here & there). Much, much better than the moth eaten one on youtube!:)
                    I take it your mum is the manageress of the flower shop?
                    Last edited by wadsy; 2 August 2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Comment

Thank you Wadsy. Yes, not her most flattering angle.

It is rather odd. Several characters get lines and appear more than once (like Frank Thornton as the barman) and some of those get proper screen time (like some of the loose women who try to offer Edgar a "good time", or Betty's landlady, or Edgar's housekeeper) but aren't named on screen except at the end credits. I can't imagine how my mum warranted an opening titles mention based on such a flimsy appearance. Unless there was a deleted scene that was lost on the cutting room floor sixty years ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X