Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

UK supporting features / B pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Odeonman;n10369]

A genuine double bill of something like two Bond films (very common in the seventies and early eighties) would be too long to have anything other than two complete programmes. On Sundays, however, most cinemas did not open until around 4pm, meaning that there was only time for one and a half programmes. Thus the film designated as the feature (i.e. the one that played last) would play twice and the other film only once, so on a Sunday the programme would run:- Ads & Trailers/Feature/Houselights/Support film/Sales/Ad & Trailers/Feature.[/QUOTE]

This not tally with my experience.4.30 performance at ABC will start with an Edgar Lustgarten.Then ads news trailer and main feature.2 clocks by the pay box showing you coming in at 430 and going out at 730.So they then have time for another complete performance,ending around 1030

Comment

[QUOTE=orpheum;n10376]

This not tally with my experience.4.30 performance at ABC will start with an Edgar Lustgarten.Then ads news trailer and main feature.2 clocks by the pay box showing you coming in at 430 and going out at 730.So they then have time for another complete performance,ending around 1030[/QUOTE]

An "Edgar Lustgarten" plus a feature is not a long double bill, in fact it isn't a double bill at all. The Edgar Lustagrten efforts were either the Scotland Yard series or Scales of Justice, both were shorts (i.e. less than 33 minutes). I am talking about a long double bill, that is two films of around two hours or more.

Comment

Fond memories of the following double bills

The Quatermass Xperiment / X The Unknown (Classic Hendon)
        X The Unknown / The Fiends (New Bohemia Finchley)
        Night of The Demon / 20 Million Miles to Earth (New Bohemia)
        Witness For The Prosecution / The Far Country (Odeon Hendon )

Comment

I have several of those ads Cassidy, from my local cinemas in the West Midlands in those years listed. My word, those double-bills on a Sunday in my area were meant to entice the counter-My Fair Lady et al devotees. As if to advertise their anti-establishment culture and shriven one-day showing in the face of local religious principles.

Comment

Actually it was done quite democratically,with a proper vote taken as to whether there could be Sunday opening in an area.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lee;n9510]Was the "Beat the Devil" short the one directed by Tony Scott with Clive Owen, Gary Oldman and James Brown?!! Just looked it up on IMDb and there were a few of these BMW sponsored adverts/short films made all starring Clive Owen. i'd never heard of them and shall have to check them out.
              [/QUOTE]

I don't remember, sorry, but the dates look right :)

Comment

Working...
              X