Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Animals in horror films

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animals in horror films

Do people think 'animals in horror' films scare their audiences and influence their fears? Examples are Jaws, The Birds, Cujo and arachnophobia. Is anyone scared by these films?

Originally posted by Maddie Ragsdale View Post
    Do people think 'animals in horror' films scare their audiences and influence their fears? Examples are Jaws, The Birds, Cujo and arachnophobia. Is anyone scared by these films?
    Is anyone actually scared by any horror film?

A few have occasionally startled me and made me jump. But scared me? No

Steve

Comment

I agree entirely with Steve; notwithstanding the occasional "jump" I just cannot get frightened by a film....it's only a film!

Having said that, I watched "The Omen" again for the umpteenth time about a month ago, and was impressed (though not remotely scared) by the scenario in the safari park where the baboons become increasingly terrified of Damien. Lee Remick's mounting horror at the monkeys' screaming and agitation made for a very good scene.

Comment

IMO , it can depend on who has the advantage , how supernatural the creature is .and in what situation one encounters said creature.. A physically weaker beast would have to have a superior advantage to be feared , ie a rabid Dog , but a physically stronger beast might be enough to fear without other aspects . ie A GRIZZLY bear , In conclusion , a film has to be very skilled to make animals frightening on mass scale . They can only really manipulate effectively deeply rooted fears of our savage hunter gatherer past .
        Last edited by AlecLeamas; 7th November 2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
          Is anyone actually scared by any horror film?

A few have occasionally startled me and made me jump. But scared me? No

Steve
          My sentiments exactly!

Comment

Jaws without a doubt has compromised my beach going. A couple of summers back when a fin began scything through the water towards me, Michael Phelps would have been hard pressed to match my speed, I think I got 30 yards up the beach before stopping. It was a dolphin. But it gave me a renewed sense of porpoise.
            Last edited by Wearysloth; 7th November 2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wearysloth View Post
              Jaws without a doubt has compromised my beach going. A couple of summers back when a fin began scything through the water towards me, Michael Phelps would have been hard pressed to match my speed, I think I got 30 yards up the beach before stopping. It was a dolphin. But it gave me a renewed sense of porpoise.
              Sandi Toksvig in QI recently said that you're more likely to down than be attacked by a shark, even if you go swimming in shark infested waters.
              Apparently only about 6 people are attacked by sharks each year. More are attacked by cows

Steve

Comment

Aren't all the mad cows in England?
                http://news.brevardtimes.com/2017/04...ttacks-in.html

Comment

Aren't all the mad cows in England?
                  That’s no way to talk about our eccentric ladies

Steve

Comment

Sounds like the scenario for a film directed by Jon TURTELtaub (of Cool Runnings fame)

Comment

Working...
                    X