Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The Hour of 13 (MGM British, 1952).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hour of 13 (MGM British, 1952).

I recently acquired the original British Front of House set for this film, a film I had never seen and that was made at MGM British studios with an all star British cast, and it looked so interesting that I ordered the Warner Archive DVD of the film off an amazon market place seller and it arrived yesterday. I played it last night and it really is a gripping and superbly made crime drama.

The heist at an 1890 high society ball is flawlessly executed, and the Calgurie Emerald that adorned the neck of Mrs. Chumley Orr rests in the pocket of clever gentleman thief Nicholas Revel (Peter Lawford). But something else happens that night that even Revel couldn't have foreseen. Escaping the house through a window, Revel stumbles across the body of a uniformed policeman, the latest victim of a serial killer known only as ‘The Terror’ who has already murdered a string of London constables while they were walking their beat. The crime convinces the police that the thief and the killer are one and the same, so Scotland Yard turns its attention to Revel and his confederates in crime. Revel must use his ingenuity to capture the killer himself and clear his own name.

Adding to the appeal of this gaslit-London period mystery (based on a book by venerable thriller writer Philip MacDonald) are Dawn Addams; Roland Culver; Michael Hordern; Derek Bond; Colin Gordon (without glasses or telephone); Leslie Dwyer; Michael Goodliffe and other estimable British talents. The climax, where Revel, dressed as a policeman, successfully baits the killer (Richard Shaw), is very action packed and well filmed. Highly recommended.

Click image for larger version

Name:	THE HOUR OF 13 FOH 8 SCAN SMALLER.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	24573

'Colin Gordon - without glasses or telephone'

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post
      'Colin Gordon - without glasses or telephone'
      Yes, an unusual event in his film roles.

Comment

Producer Hayes Goetz was the studio manager's son.

Comment

Working...
        X