Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Some trouble playing a BFI online video

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have downloaded it, narabdela. Apparently, you have to download a strange programme called iTunes before you can play BFI videos. So I wasted a good ten minutes downloading this iTunes and all the numerous attachments that went with it and again, when I clicked on 'Watch Now' the video still wouldn't play and the same caption came up on the screen: "This video is not configured for your device". I've given up with it now and have deleted iTunes from my computer as it's of no use to me. It could well be that the BFI haven't actually got a video of this film and that's why it won't play. The title and still are just there to entrap you and to get money off you under false pretences. Their site is probably full of such non-existent videos.
    Last edited by darrenburnfan; 1st September 2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

I have just tried playing one of their free films with no problems whatsoever. Have you got the latest version of your browser, and latest version of AdobeFlash ?. There is quite a good help section on the site. I sympathise with you when trying to contact the BFI as I never get any replies to my emails either !.

Comment

That's the strange thing about all this. I can also play the free films on the BFI site, but I can't play a film I've paid to see. I have the latest version of AdobeFlash and my browser is up to date. I can play any video anywhere on the Internet, except the BFI's pay to view videos.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
          I have downloaded it, narabdela. Apparently, you have to download a strange programme called iTunes before you can play BFI videos.
          That's a new one on me. This thread is getting too confusing.

Comment

you have to download a strange programme called iTunes
            I hate to point out that its a standard programme from Apple, which has been around for years.

Comment

FIRST THE BAD NEWS: I had a nasty accident last night with my Hewlett Packard Laptop. I accidentally caught my right foot in the mains lead and pulled it off the table. It fell two feet to the floor and the printer fell off on top of it. I found that the printer still worked. but all the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't make the Laptop work again. It wouldn't even start up. So I went this afternoon to the Argos store in Stoke and bought a new Hewlett Packard Laptop. It cost me £300 all but a penny and that's the cheapest they had. I've managed to get back on the Internet and started re-signing in to amazon; Britmovie; BT email; Facebook and YouTube, ect, but I still have to install a lot of programmes, such as the printer and Microsoft Word and others. It will take me a while and I won't be back to normal for a week. The sales assistant told me that Hewlett Packard are stopping production soon on Laptops, so to make this one last as long as I can, because I won't be able to buy another one if I need one in, say, two years. It's all IPhones and Tablets now and I haven't the foggiest idea how to use one of those and there is no one here to teach me. If I can't do something, it doesn't get done.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS: With hardly any programmes installed on this new Laptop, I revisited BFI player and wondered what would happen if I tried to play THE BOY AND THE BRIDGE on it. So I clicked on it and it actually played...not very well, it kept freezing, but it played well enough to watch it all the way through and to put the stills in the set in order. What a totally unusual and utterly charming film! I highly recommend that it be released on DVD so we can see it properly. By the way, Arthur Lowe is so thin in it, that he's not the same as we knew him from Dad's Army some twelve years later. Anyway, I apologise to the BFI, but with the recommendation that they make sure their pay to view films can be seen on every computer and not be so hit and miss in presentation. If you think you can risk the £2:50, give this film a play. I'm sure you'll think it's 87 minutes well spent. I can't guarantee it'll actually play, but you never know. I am sending the BFI a cheque for £50,000, drawn on my bank, The Bank of Toyland.

Comment

The manufacturor of your laptop shouldn't matter as much as the operating system. All versions of Windows (7 or 10 or whichever release you use) should be remarkably similar across all makes of laptop. Similarly for iPads and other such tablet devices. The operating system is much more relevant than the make

Steve

Comment

Well, it's Windows 10 on this new Laptop, Steve, and I've heard there have been problems with it. But it seems to work alright so far. The funny thing is, you're supposed to download iTunes before you can play BFI player videos, but this Laptop hasn't got iTunes on it and it managed to play it (well, sort of). I must say a word here about Malcolm Arnold's beautiful score for THE BOY AND THE BRIDGE, which is a sort of cross between Whistle Down The Wind and The Lion and for the wonderful cinematography of the exterior and interior of Tower Bridge and the area of London around the Thames where it was filmed. The producers must have had special permission to film the interior of the bridge, the interior of the turrets and the huge mechanism the raises and lowers the two halves of the bridge. In a way, it was a kind of semi-documentary look at the famous London landmark. It's been seen in the background of many films over the years, but never shown to this extent and with so much detail. A wonderful film!

David.
                  Last edited by darrenburnfan; 4th September 2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I'm glad they managed to complete the film before GORGO destroyed it!!

Comment

They just made it, Stephen. Your mention of Gorgo and the destruction of Tower Bridge reminds me of a review I once read on one of those Japanese Godzilla movies, where Godzilla goes on the rampage and destroys Tokyo yet again and the critic wrote: "By now, the citizens of Tokyo are obviously so used to this happening that they don't even bother to come out to see what's going on. The streets are deserted. They're all probably staying in and watching it on TV."

Comment

Tommy (Ian MacLaine) makes a lovely little home for himself at the top of one of the turrets of the bridge, high above the river, coming and going without being noticed by anyone and living quite independently for a nine year old and comes to think of Tower Bridge as his own personal bridge. One night, he saves the life of a suicidal woman who is about to jump off the bridge into the river. "DON'T", he yells down to her, "DON'T JUMP OFF MY BRIDGE!" The woman is so startled by this voice from somewhere up there, that she changes her mind.

Comment

So, Darrenburnfan, now that you've got it all sorted out, do you want us to change the title of this thread and not call the BFI "Theiving rob dogs" any more?

Steve

Comment

I would like to change it to something much less dramatic such as "Some trouble playing a BFI online video", but only an admin can do that.

David.

Comment

The title to this thread has been changed.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
                                The title to this thread has been changed.

Nick
                                Thanks Nick

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X