Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The Silver Fleet (1943)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Silver Fleet (1943)

One of the best things about Talking Pictures TV is discovering old films that you've never heard of, or don't already have in your collection. Although I have heard of The Silver Fleet, I was amazed to find that I had never seen it, or had a copy of it. It screens on TPTV on Saturday 8th April from 12.10 to 14.00 and will most likely be repeated a few times after that. It has Googie Withers in a lead role, one of my favourite British actresses, and also the great Ralph Richardson. Anyone else seen it ?.

Naturally. And a cameo with Kathleen Byron, too.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by oddbodjunior View Post
      One of the best things about Talking Pictures TV is discovering old films that you've never heard of, or don't already have in your collection. Although I have heard of The Silver Fleet, I was amazed to find that I had never seen it, or had a copy of it. It screens on TPTV on Saturday 8th April from 12.10 to 14.00 and will most likely be repeated a few times after that. It has Googie Withers in a lead role, one of my favourite British actresses, and also the great Ralph Richardson. Anyone else seen it ?.
      Yes, of course I've seen it, It was produced (although not written or directed) by Powell & Pressburger

It's a lovely little film, one of theor wartime ouvre. Written and directed by Vernon Sewell & Gordon Wellesley (from an original story by Pressburger)
      Vernon Sewell had previously been the skipper of supply ship helping to provision the cast & crew on Powell's The Edge of the World (1937)

The film also stars Kathleen Byron in a small role as the school teacher who first mentions Jan de Wit
      And Esmond Knight in his first screen role after he had been blinded chasing the Bismarck

There's a booklet published by the Netherland Government Information Bureau
      The story of the film put into narrative by Gordon Wellesley, etc
      HMSO publication 1943 [pp. 32]

Steve

Comment

Hello

I watched it again recently - found it at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rJOlHfK6Us

Comment

Working...
        X