Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Jack Warner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Warner

Just seen a couple of old Jack Warner films on TalkingPictures, Albert RN and Bang Your Dead. I ve watched many of his films my favourites being Hue and Cry, My Brothers Keeper. It Always Rains on Sundays , and of course The Blue Lamp.and his "Huggetts " films
    Read the usual sources Wikipedia etc about him but can't find much about his private life, he was a huge star in the 50's. Does anyone have any information about whether he was married, where he lived etc ?

He wrote 2 autobiogs.I have read Evening All.I found it rather self regarding and an expert,in his seventies,on the then youth culture.Both available on Amazon.

Comment

I recently acquired a copy of 'Jigsaw' - a second feature starring Jack Warner (this time as a Detective Inspector !!) released by Renown Picture Ltd. Much appreciated as I can just remember this era: cars, street scenes etc.

Clarence

Comment

Originally posted by clarence View Post
        I recently acquired a copy of 'Jigsaw' - a second feature starring Jack Warner (this time as a Detective Inspector !!) released by Renown Picture Ltd. Much appreciated as I can just remember this era: cars, street scenes etc.

Clarence
        Jigsaw was not a second feature.

Comment

^ What is the definition of a "second feature"? Did the production company get a government subsidy?

Surely the exhibitor can screen a film in any way or order they like?

Comment

I watched JW having a tin bath last night in "Bang You're Dead. I love The Blue Lamp, one of my all time favourites and also love his harassed policeman in The Quatermass Xperiment.

I wonder how he would have got on as "M".

Comment

Jamal there are a number of criteria.If you look at the press advertising the second feature is at the bottom of the bill.The running time is also a clue as is the cast and the production company.
              I saw Jigsaw on its ABC release,and I am pretty sure from my film diary that it was the main feature.

Comment

I see a cheap-looking film with a running time of 55 to 70 minutes and guess it's a "B Film" or a "Second Feature".

But is there a category of actor who appears in these lesser films? I am obsessing over this issue because I have become fascinated by Ursula Jeans and that remarkable 1947 film called The Woman in the Hall.

https://www.britmovie.co.uk/forum/ci...-jeans-livesey

I have seen that she appears in secondary role in many "A films' but only appears in a starring role in two films The Woman in the Hall and The Weaker Sex (1948). I have been scouring the newspaper archives and see advertisements with The Woman in the Hall being screened as the lesser 'second feature' of a double bill to an America or another British film.

Comment

At the age of 67 Jigsaw was the 2nd last Film Jack Warner made until Dominique in 1979. He was already seven years into Dixon by 1962 and for the next 14 years that's about all he played on screen.

Comment

JIGSAW was released as a feature film on the ABC circuit in October, 1962, supported by Peter Cushing and Virginia Maskell in SUSPECT.

Comment

Suspect or The Risk. What a great little film. Could do with a thread of its own. Also known as (the DVD I have) Sospechosos. Gem of a Boulting brothers production with a fantastic cast that includes Spike Milligan. What a quality double bill.

Comment

Originally posted by Toscana View Post
                        Suspect or The Risk. What a great little film. Could do with a thread of its own. Also known as (the DVD I have) Sospechosos. Gem of a Boulting brothers production with a fantastic cast that includes Spike Milligan. What a quality double bill.
                        At the risk of being pedantic, a double bill is a programme with two films of equal status, which means that the billing is shared 50/50. In the case of Jigsaw, it was the main feature and the supporting film would have received much lesser status in the billing, which could vary from 70/30 to 90/10. The billing information was specified by the distributor and had to be adhered to in all publicity. Suspect/The Risk was actually made in 1960, so may have been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years.
                        Last edited by Odeonman; 6th June 2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

But did the two films of equal status have to be shown together in each cinema?

Comment

• John Skinner
                            John Skinner commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you for your enquiry. JACK's real name is Horace John Waters.His star sign was Libra/Scorpio.Father's name Edward William Waters,an undertaker's warehouseman. Jack was born in London on 24.10.1895, raised Rounton Road,East London.An address for him in 1960 was Porsea Cottage,Kingsgate,Broadstairs,Kent. He died Sunday evening 25.5.1981. A thanksgiving service was held at St.Martin's-in-the Fields on 21.7.1981 attended by his widow,Mollie and sister Elsie,and many others,including representations from the police. Written tributes included one in the Stage newspaper by Susan Elkin 24.10.2002 by Susan Elkin p.15. Radio 4 broadcast a tribute " Jack Of All Trades ";30 mins; 20.7.2006,host "Dixon" co-star Peter Byrne. Hope this data is of use to you...John Walter Skinner.

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
                          But did the two films of equal status have to be shown together in each cinema?
                          If it was an official first run double bill, e.g. two Bond films, then yes. Circuit cinemas had no flexibility with regard to booking which was dictated by the head office booking department, who were in turn dictated to by the distributor. Before the age of the multiplex the duopoly ruled (i.e. Rank and ABC) and they each had their "aligned" distributors. If you wanted to see a 20th Century Fox, or Columbia, or United Artists, or Disney film, you had to go to a Rank cinema. If you wanted to see an MGM or Warner or Paramount or Universal film you had to go to an ABC cinema. The distributors kept the circuits in line by threatening to take their films to the opposition. This led to absurd situations when closures resulted in some cinemas becoming solo situations, i.e there was an Odeon but no ABC or vice versa. The cinema still had to give priority to it's aligned distributor even if that meant playing a popular film in a 140 seat "mini" while a less popular film played upstairs in the 600 seater.. Independent cinemas playing second run had more flexibility.

Comment

Working...
                          X