Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Atmospheric British film sets.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atmospheric British film sets.

I find some of these fascinating and very interesting to look at...

http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Atmospheric_Sets.html

They aren't fascinating or atmospheric so much as cluttered

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
      They aren't fascinating or atmospheric so much as cluttered

Steve
      The Desert Rats (1953) Here's an uncluttered one for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-w856.jpg?1445903282.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	3183

Comment

Originally posted by regentroad5 View Post

The Desert Rats (1953) Here's an uncluttered one for you
        OK, so how is that fascinating or atmospheric?

Steve

Comment

You could also have Scott of the Antarctic or The Cruel Sea.sorry no pics

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
            OK, so how is that fascinating or atmospheric?

Steve

Never said it was, but you seem to be more bothered about uncluttered than fascinating or atmospheric.

Comment

Originally posted by regentroad5 View Post

Never said it was, but you seem to be more bothered about uncluttered than fascinating or atmospheric.
              Sorry, I was just going by the thread title and what you said in the first posts

Steve

Comment

I like the strange perspectives you see in these film sets.

You rarely see a film set of a room which is built with right-angled walls. And so many film interior sets have a front door with steps where you have to step up to walk through the door and then there's another set showing the 'exterior' where you have to walk down steps again.

Comment

Don't know if it's an illusion or not?- but I find Elstree sets a bit flat and sometimes a bit tatty compared to the lavish and deep MGM Boreham Wood and Pinewood sets- might just the lighting or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert Quark View Post
                    Don't know if it's an illusion or not?- but I find Elstree sets a bit flat and sometimes a bit tatty compared to the lavish and deep MGM Boreham Wood and Pinewood sets- might just the lighting or something?
                    Funny you should say that as I've always thought the same, Elstree sets look cheap and unconvincing. MGM-British is often regarded as the Rolls-Royce of British studios and over the last few months I've been working my way through the box set of UFO, the last thing made at MGM-British. The contrast between the sets at MGM and the distinctly cheaper looking sets at Pinewood when they had to transfer there after MGM's closure is marked. I dread to think what it would have looked like at Elstree.

Comment

Originally posted by Odeonman View Post

Funny you should say that as I've always thought the same, Elstree sets look cheap and unconvincing. MGM-British is often regarded as the Rolls-Royce of British studios and over the last few months I've been working my way through the box set of UFO, the last thing made at MGM-British. The contrast between the sets at MGM and the distinctly cheaper looking sets at Pinewood when they had to transfer there after MGM's closure is marked. I dread to think what it would have looked like at Elstree.
                      Ah glad it's not just me..I did sometimes wonder to myself what a show like the Avengers would have looked like (with it's need for fantasy sets) made at MGM. I liked where UFO was heading in the later series and the continuing wonderful atmosphere was probably because IIRC they were mostly made on location ..no CGI in 1970 and Timelash still looks incredible.

Comment

Post # 3 looks more like a scene from SEA OF SAND rather than THE DESERT RATS.

Comment

The early Hammer film sets were very atmospheric.

Comment

I always loved the Night of the demon for its atmosphere even Karwell's house had a sense of foreboding and at times it was brightly lit but cold. If his home was meant to be his heart? Then even the children's party and his mother failed to ignite any warmth, after all it was bought by his followers through fear not as a touching gift. Plus who in their right mind keeps a demon as a sentinel.

Comment

Originally posted by tv horror View Post
                              ... who in their right mind keeps a demon as a sentinel.
                              The gargoyles on Notre Dame cathedral in Paris don't seem very angelic though, do they?

Comment

Working...
                              X