Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Question about “The Boys from Brazil”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about “The Boys from Brazil”

I have a question about The Boys from Brazil (1978)...
    What is the significance of the sharks tooth bracelet which is shown at various times throughout the film?

It is shown as though it has major significance but is never explained. Well not on the TV version I saw the other day. Was something significant cut?

Steve

Also, was this the only film in which Mr. Guttenberg was credited as "Steven"?

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
      Also, was this the only film in which Mr. Guttenberg was credited as "Steven"?
      According to the IMDb he was also credited as "Steven Guttenberg" in Amazon Women on the Moon (1987), Players (1979) & The Chicken Chronicles (1977)
      It seems to have been his preference in his first few appearances on screen

Steve

Comment

Just googled this and found this

"A suggestion might be that it shows a contradiction in Mengele's Aryan thinking"

Comment

Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post
          Just googled this and found this

"A suggestion might be that it shows a contradiction in Mengele's Aryan thinking"
          Yes, the page at http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the...ys_from_Brazil actually says
          > A suggestion might be that it shows a contradiction in Mengele's Aryan thinking in that he used native, primitive, "inferior" women as the womb for the little Hitler boys. When Mengele picks up the bracelet off of the floor of his third-world thatched roof clinic in the jungle, he somehow does not see the flaw in his perverted Aryan thinking, and takes the bracelet with him, I suppose, as a memento. I can find no other answer on the Internet, unless it's found in a synopsis or review of the book.

But that's not all that useful, it doesn't explain anything much.

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the...ys_from_Brazil suggests
          > Shark teeth have long been known for their symbolic meaning of bravery, strength, power, and protection. Mengele visits the cloning clinic used fourteen years prior, and the bracelet is shown hanging three times during egg operations and gestation memory vision scenes. Ostensibly the shark tooth bracelet had protected the Hitler clones. Then, Mengele finds it on the dirty floor and carries it off. He fondles it for luck as he approaches the Wheelock residence, and later Bobby hangs it in his darkroom. Innocent Bobby is protected by the bracelet as Bennett and other Nazi hunters ponder his execution

So I think that your guess is as good as mine, it's just something that looks decorative & pretty

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

According to the IMDb he was also credited as "Steven Guttenberg" in Amazon Women on the Moon (1987), Players (1979) & The Chicken Chronicles (1977)
            It seems to have been his preference in his first few appearances on screen

Steve
            OK thanks

Comment

Working...
            X