Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The Holly and The Ivy (1952) missing scenes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holly and The Ivy (1952) missing scenes.

I’ve just been watching The Holly and The Ivy (1952) on Talking Pictures TV and thought it was excellent, with Sir Ralph Richardson; Margaret Leighton; Celia Johnson and Denholm Elliot giving standout performances. They ran the Studio Canal release and I looked it up on amazon uk, only to find there are complaints on there from many customers that there are two important scenes missing on the DVD. The children’s nativity play and a scene where Elliot leads some carol singing outside a woman’s house. Those scenes were also missing on the version shown on television today. Does anyone know why Studio Canal have cut these scenes on the DVD and their version shown on television?

I'm familiar with TV stations cutting to insert more advertisements in the allotted time. But I think it unacceptable to cut a DVD.

Comment

I was going to buy the DVD, but had second thoughts when I found out it was a cut version of the film. It’s pointless emailing StudioCanal about it, as the chances of getting a reply from them are pretty slim.

Comment

It might be due to making it religion neutral as obviously the nativity play has Christian connotations. ....saves SC any hassle from the PC brigade anywhere they try to sell it.

Years ago CH4 use to show it as a double bill with 'Last Holiday' with Alec Guinness ,,an excellent piece of Christmas programming I thought

If anybody recorded it on VHS on CH4 would be interesting to know if it had the missing scenes.

In fact the last release in 2010 shows 17 seconds missing from the release in 2002 and 6 minutes missing from the original cinema release, which I doubt is anything to do with PAL 25fps speed up as digital scans from this century don't need to bother with all that.
        Last edited by Bert Quark; 25th December 2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
          Does anyone know why Studio Canal have cut these scenes on the DVD....
          Maybe I'm being cynical, but it could be used as an opportunity to release a second DVD in the near future and branding it as the "uncut version".

Comment

Talking pictures facebook page will usually give a straight answer to a straight question, could be worth asking there if scenes were edited and why.

I have asked them things, via fb, and usually had a quick and polite response.

Comment

I'll try that, Mark. A customer on amazon uk says that they recorded the film on video off the television many years ago and the film wasn't cut then and another said they bought the VHS video of the film years ago and that wasn't cut, either.

Comment

^ Bert, I think you're right about this film being 'religiously neutral'. I had watched this movie about three times and thoroughly enjoyed Margaret Leighton's extravagances and Sir Ralph's niceness before I realised there was some kind of underlying tension going on about Catholics.

Comment

I always thought that Richardson's character was a Church of England vicar who had recently been widowed, so he can't have been a Catholic priest, as they aren't allowed to marry. Or at least they weren't at the time that this film was made.

Comment

I thought the two aunts, Lydia and Bridget, were presented as symbols of inter-denominational rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
                      I always thought that Richardson's character was a Church of England vicar who had recently been widowed, so he can't have been a Catholic priest, as they aren't allowed to marry. Or at least they weren't at the time that this film was made.
                      That's what I thought.
                      Last edited by Jamie Mackie; 17th January 2018, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X