Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

They Came to a City

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They Came to a City

I have just found out BFI are releasing this on dual format on 23April. I’ve been waiting for this for years and years. It’s availble for pre order. Thanks BFI please release more classic British films. I want Good Time Girl on DVD.

I have this title and I have find it almost unwatchable.I do agree though that the BFI should do more to promote the large collection of British films.Even on the BFI player there is not much to view at the moment.

Comment

• googiefan
      googiefan commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree about them promoting more British films it has always been one of the things I dislike the BFI for. They could do more in this area.

It will be good to finally get a decent copy of this.

Comment

I have to agree with orpheum on this. I find it preachy, boring and dated. I'm not surprised it failed at the box office.

Of historical interest only.

Comment

Yes but for me Googie is in it. I’m buying it for that mostly and the fact that if this sells they might release some more old British films.

Comment

I appreciate that,but I doubt that this film will attract much attention.What about Temptation Harbour which I saw when it was briefly on the BFI player

Comment

What is temptation harbour?

Comment

A truly excellent drama made in 1947.Stars Robert Newton and Simone Simon .Not shown on TV and never released on vhs or DVD.A truly neglected masterpiece

Just to say it is still available for rental on the BFI player
              Last edited by orpheum; 2nd March 2018, 08:40 PM. Reason: Corrections

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                A truly excellent drama made in 1947.Stars Robert Newton and Simone Signoret.Not shown on TV and never released on vhs or DVD.A truly neglected masterpiece
                It actually stars Simone Simon of Cat People/Curse Of The Cat People fame and also William Hartnell, Kathleen Harrison and Irene Handl and as Orpheum also says Robert Newton. The BFI own the sole surviving film print so it is a real rarity. Has it disappeared from the BFI Player already ?.

Comment

That sounds great. Especially with Kathleen Harrison and Robert Newton. They where great in Water Front. Hope temptation harbour gets a release soon. This is what BFI should be doing for their tax payers money.

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
                    This is what BFI should be doing for their tax payers money.

The BFI gets National Lottery Funding. I don't think it gets any direct Government funding.

Comment

Oh well I’m glad I don’t do the lottery then. Isn’t it arts council funded? That’s tax payers money

Comment

Originally posted by googiefan View Post
                        Isn’t it arts council funded? That’s tax payers money
                        The Arts Council awards/distributes the National Lottery funds.

Comment

Ok I would want them to do more British releases and make things more widely accessible outside London.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                            I have this title and I have find it almost unwatchable.I do agree though that the BFI should do more to promote the large collection of British films.Even on the BFI player there is not much to view at the moment.
                            Agreed. I'm goint to watch it.
                            Last edited by gastone; 16th March 2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X