Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

So when did Sian Phillips have her car accident?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So when did Sian Phillips have her car accident?

I heard she was just 19. But she looked undamaged in 'Becket' in '64.

She was just 19. Are you familiar with the career of Sir Archibald McIndoe?

He's been one of my heroes since I first became acquainted with his work when I was a student fifty years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post
      She was just 19. Are you familiar with the career of Sir Archibald McIndoe?

He's been one of my heroes since I first became acquainted with his work when I was a student fifty years ago.
      Yes, and the "Guinea Pigs"

One of the people working with him was Joseph "Joe" Reidy, brother of Frankie Reidy and thus brother-in-law of Michael Powell.
      He and other medical pioneers were a help in the detailed planning of A Matter of Life and Death (1946)

Steve

Comment

Was Sian seriously hurt ?......

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post
          Was Sian seriously hurt ?......
          She suffered facial, nose, and jaw injuries after the car she was in was hit from behind. Being before the seat belt era, she was propelled through the windscreen, hitting the rear-view mirror on the way.

After some initial patch-up work, she was operated on by McIndoe, one of the pioneers of Reconstructive Maxillofacial Surgery.

Comment

So, around 1953 then, some 6 years before she married Peter O'Toole, who had his nose remodeled some time in the late 50s.

Comment

I had a friend, who was a patient under McIndoe. He was a genius in pioneering reconstructive surgery.

Comment

Yes, I see a different nose when I google—

"Peter O'Toole caption: Peter O'Toole, fresh out of drama school"

Comment

Originally posted by narabdela View Post

She suffered facial, nose, and jaw injuries after the car she was in was hit from behind. Being before the seat belt era, she was propelled through the windscreen, hitting the rear-view mirror on the way.

After some initial patch-up work, she was operated on by McIndoe, one of the pioneers of Reconstructive Maxillofacial Surgery.
                  Thank you for the reply.

I recall seeing a short film in the Cinema about the 'Guinea pigs', several of whom lived at an establishment in East Grinstead, Surrey.

Comment

Working...
                  X