Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Best Death Scene

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Death Scene

i would like to nominate John Mills in Cottage to Let (1941), just shown on London Live. Mills is in tha Hall of Mirrors tent with Georg Cole & Leslie Banks, he's been unmasked as a Nazi spy and is trying to escape when Alastair Sim peers into the tent and shoots Johnnie. Mills staggers around for a bit and makes a move against Sim - so Sim shoots him again. But Johnnie still doesn't die, he staggers around a bit more and looks at his distorted reflection in the mirrors before finally collapsing in a heap. A great death scene

Steve

Here are a couple of my favourite "extended" death scenes...

Comment

And he shrieks as he keels over. A master-class in how to do a death scene, possibly better than Nicholas Craig, the noted thesp.

And I do really like this film, too. Sim, Cole, Banks, de Casalis, Lehmann, Petrie, etc, etc. What a cast!

Nick

Comment

Are you all familiar with the "Wilhelm Scream"? It is a sound effect of a man screaming, that has been in the sound libraries of the major studios in Hollywood for decades. Apparently there has been an ongoign in-joke among the film-makers, to use this same sound effect when they can. People like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have used it, and it goes back to the 1940s. IMDb has a category for it and I think you can list out films that have it. It was named after a character called "Wilhelm" who dies being eaten br a crocodile... but actually there are uses of it before that film. Below is a compilation of some of the most memorable occasions...

This more recent compilation has more.. and in better quality upload, but you need to read the notes to find out which films they are from.
        Last edited by StoneAgeMan; 7th June 2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Id sooner go for Robert Donat in the Sam Wood version of Goodbye Mr.chips. bit of a romantic me...

Comment

Nancy's twitching legs behind the wall in "Oliver!" after Bill Sikes has done her in. Still cry when I see that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C View Post
              Id sooner go for Robert Donat in the Sam Wood version of Goodbye Mr.chips. bit of a romantic me...
              Robert Donat creates an epic death scene in The Way Ahead.

Nick

Comment

Hard to choose the many memorable Hitchcockian death scenes, but watch how he choreographs the death of Juanita in Topaz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkAv...nel=Movieclips

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                  Nancy's twitching legs ...
                  I voted for King Richard III (1955) where he twitches his chest and thighs into a bloody, spasmic death.

Comment

James Cagney in White Heat.

Comment

John Hurt in Alien

honourable mentions to
                      Harold Sakata in Goldfinger
                      Eddie Izzard in The Avengers
                      Patrick Magee in Tales from the Crypt
                      Richard Greene in Tales from the Crypt
                      Sean Pertwee in Event Horizon

Comment

Not British, but Jimmy Durante in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World .... literally kicks the bucket.

Comment

Richard Attenborough in Brighton Rock

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                            Are you all familiar with the "Wilhelm Scream"? It is a sound effect of a man screaming, that has been in the sound libraries of the major studios in Hollywood for decades. Apparently there has been an ongoign in-joke among the film-makers, to use this same sound effect when they can. People like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg have used it, and it goes back to the 1940s. IMDb has a category for it and I think you can list out films that have it. It was named after a character called "Wilhelm" who dies being eaten br a crocodile... but actually there are uses of it before that film. Below is a compilation of some of the most memorable occasions...

This more recent compilation has more.. and in better quality upload, but you need to read the notes to find out which films they are from.
                            The Wilhem scream actually first came about in 1951 in Distant Drums when a member of Gary Cooper's troop got snatched by a crocodile in the swamp The scream was performed by Sheb Wooley of Purple People Eater and Rawhide fame who was not the afore mentioned trooper.

Wilhelm was a character in The Charge at Feather River who screamed as he was wounded by an Indian arrow. As you say that scream has also been used in many other films.

Comment

Some great death scenes at the climax of The Wild Bunch from Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, Ernest Borgnine and William Holden.

Comment

Working...
                              X