Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Jigsaw (1962)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jigsaw (1962)

Watched Jigsaw (1962) a week or two ago, but never realised that the events were based on a real life murder.

In 1924 Patrick Mahon killed and dismembered Emily Kaye in a rented bungalow in Eastbourne, then spent the Easter weekend with another woman.

http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m/mahon-patrick.htm

It's a great film, released on DVD by Renown a couple of years ago. Sadly, the transfer seemed over-bright and many of the highlights are clipped and lacking detail. That doesn't spoil it too much, though. Jack Warner is better here than in any other production I've seen him in, a cracking performance.

Comment

Originally posted by taphonomy View Post
      Watched Jigsaw (1962) a week or two ago, but never realised that the events were based on a real life murder.

In 1924 Patrick Mahon killed and dismembered Emily Kaye in a rented bungalow in Eastbourne, then spent the Easter weekend with another woman.

http://murderpedia.org/male.M/m/mahon-patrick.htm

There is some confusion over the date of execution of Patrick Mahon. My book The Murders of The Black Museum 1870 -1970 by Gordon Honeycombe gives the date as 9th September 1924 whilst other dates given are both the 2nd and 3rd of September.

Comment

Originally posted by cassidy View Post

There is some confusion over the date of execution of Patrick Mahon. My book The Murders of The Black Museum 1870 -1970 by Gordon Honeycombe gives the date as 9th September 1924 whilst other dates given are both the 2nd and 3rd of September.
        There is indeed doubt over the date. I've seen one for the 4th September too.

This is from the East Sussex Record Office and is in the National Archives:

The trial opened at Lewes assizes on 15 July before Mr Justice Avory and on 19 July, after the jury had taken 43 minutes to consider its verdict, Mahon was sentenced to death. His appeal was unsuccessful and on 3 September he was hanged at Wandsworth Prison.

Comment

A classic British 'B' film from the early sixties. Good to see some welcome old faces there - Brian Oulton as the fussy estate agent, John Barron as the murderer, John Le Mesurier as the victim's father etc. As Andy 2 says, a little bright, but n the whole a gem.

For those of us who remember the era, a fascinating glimpse of the past - I even remember some of the cars !!

Clarence

Comment

Originally posted by clarence View Post
            A classic British 'B' film from the early sixties. Good to see some welcome old faces there - Brian Oulton as the fussy estate agent, John Barron as the murderer, John Le Mesurier as the victim's father etc. As Andy 2 says, a little bright, but n the whole a gem.

For those of us who remember the era, a fascinating glimpse of the past - I even remember some of the cars !!

Clarence
            Clarence is at it again. Having claimed on the Jack Warner thread that this was a second feature, he now describes it as a 'B' film.. So once again I have to reiterate, this was not a 'B' film, it opened at the Columbia Shaftesbury Avenue on August 23rd 1962 and started its general release on the ABC circuit on September 9th with 'Suspect' in support i.e. 'Suspect' was the 'B' film.

Comment

Originally posted by taphonomy View Post

There is indeed doubt over the date. I've seen one for the 4th September too.

This is from the East Sussex Record Office and is in the National Archives:

The trial opened at Lewes assizes on 15 July before Mr Justice Avory and on 19 July, after the jury had taken 43 minutes to consider its verdict, Mahon was sentenced to death. His appeal was unsuccessful and on 3 September he was hanged at Wandsworth Prison.
              The Guardian reports on the 4th September that Mahon was executed the day before, with the inquest held a little after noon the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by clarence View Post

Clarence
                Great movie with terrific performances from even the uncredited actors such as Norman Chappell as Andy the Delivery man
                'There was this Judy see'..
                Not of course as close to Brighton as the film would have you believe. Bungalow Road Saltdean, was actually The Highway on the far side of Peacehaven, just before you reach Newhaven.
                A good 8 miles from Brighton, it would probably have come under the jurisdiction of Lewes police rather than Brighton.
                Last edited by Tigon Man; 25th July 2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X