Comedy Horror films?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comedy Horror films?

Hello everybody. I hope you're all well.

When I was younger, and even now in my dotage, one of my favourite genres was comedy horror films. Now, while this genre would include American Werewolf in London, Zombies Dawn of the Dead, Happy Death Day to You , Shaun of the Dead, Severance and millions of others, what I'm referring to at the moment is British films along the lines of US classic The Cat and the Canary and so on, like What a Carve Up or The House in Nightmare Park or even Murder She Said ... any of those where comedic leads are trapped in a horror or ghostly setting, exploring a haunted house, at the mercy of a killer and so on.

Can anybody think of any others? The year doesn't matter that much, but as always it's the post war to 1975 decades that are most attractive.

Is that Kenny Everett one any good? (Bear in mind that I quite like the Morecambe and Wise vehicle Night Train to Murder, so I don't need them to be classics.)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

The Hammer/William Castle The Old Dark House is another one and of course Carry On Screaming!. The Kenny Everett Bloodbath at the House of Death is really quite dreadful despite the presence of Vincent Price.

Comment

Peeping Tom (1960) has a few mild laughs in it but I’ve Never heard of it being referred to as a comedy. I've only heard of it as a horror film by people making lists of "horror" films, never by anyone watching it

Steve

Comment

What immediately brought to mind was the early films of Peter Jackson . An honorary brit at least .

Bad Taste 1987 .

Brain Dead 1992 .

Comment

what about Peeping Tom?

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
            what about Peeping Tom?
            See above

Steve

Comment

Not British but... Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

Comment

Originally posted by AlecLeamas View Post
                What immediately brought to mind was the early films of Peter Jackson . An honorary brit at least .

Bad Taste 1987 .

Brain Dead 1992 .
                Both superb films. I wasn't looking for anything so gory, but of there's anyone out there who doesn't mind the ketchup and hasn't seen Braindead, rent it now. excellent fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                  Peeping Tom (1960) has a few mild laughs in it but I’ve Never heard of it being referred to as a comedy. I've only heard of it as a horror film by people making lists of "horror" films, never by anyone watching it

Steve
                  I always think of it as a romcom.

Who wouldn't pay good money to see a remake with Jennifer Aniston as Mark Lewis and Adam Sandler as all the victims?

Comment

Having said that, any more b/w haunted house/hidden murderer ones? Even like Ghost Train.

Comment

Not officially a comedy, maybe inadvertently so, but I quite enjoyed this one:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028243/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Comment

I know its not British but what about The Raven?

Comment

The NZ film, Black Sheep, and certainly the Tremours films.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonekicker View Post
                            The NZ film, Black Sheep, and certainly the Tremours films.
                            I remember wanting to see Black Sheep when it came out. I'll look out for it. Would you recommend Tremors from 1990 or the recent reboot TV one?

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                              I know its not British but what about The Raven?
                              1963 or the more recent John Cusack? I'm guessing the 63, which I have seen, but ages ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X