Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

The BFI in action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BFI in action

The BFI has commissioned a report with some of £20 million of national lottery money to discover the (perhaps unsurprising) news that the industry is riddled with nepotism and that only 5% of the industry declare themselves to be disabled.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-film-industry
    http://www.theworkfoundation.com/pro...ills-projects/

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
    The BFI has commissioned a report with some of £20 million of national lottery money to discover the (perhaps unsurprising) news that the industry is riddled with nepotism and that only 5% of the industry declare themselves to be disabled.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-film-industry
    http://www.theworkfoundation.com/pro...ills-projects/
    The report didn't cost £20m, the action plan costs that. Interesting to see Barbara Brocolli's name there!

Comment

^
      Yes, they have obviously tried to cover up the real cost of this unsurprising survey.

And the Brocolli family is a perfect example of the industry's nepotism.

Comment

^
        Yes, they have obviously tried to cover up the real cost of this unsurprising survey.
        In what way are they obviously covering up the real cost of the survey?

Comment

• jamal.nazreddin
          jamal.nazreddin commented
          Editing a comment
          ^ Can you see the real cost of the survey?

So what? When did you last read the cost of a survey, does that mean everybody is obviously covering up the cost of their surveys?

Comment

I maintain that people who use community money for their own private purpose should inform the community how and how much.

After all— look at Camila Batmanghelidjh. Who can defend her secret dealings?

Comment

I maintain that people who use community money for their own private purpose should inform the community how and how much.

After all— look at Camila Batmanghelidjh. Who can defend her secret dealings?
            Okay, but that's not the same as your suggestion that the BFI were wilfully covering up the cost of the survey. It is simply not mentioned in the article. I am sure if it's a significant expense it will appear in their annual accounts. Then again, if it's an online survey with a tool like surveymonkey it would have cost $25 and will probably be accounted for under petty cash. You seem to be looking for conspiracy when there is no suggestion at all of impropriety.

Comment

"impropriety". I love that word. I wish I could find an opportunity to use it in a sentence. Perhaps I should be looking for a Trump thread...

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
                "impropriety". I love that word. I wish I could find an opportunity to use it in a sentence.
                You just did!

Comment

The 20 million could have been better used by making the BFI facilities available outside of London and a few other places. We like classic cinema outside London. Alas we live in the Midlands so we get very little of anything. Apart from the archive they keep I don't know what else they do out of London. Put the archive in Bradford and close the rest of it down. It isn't British at all it's London.

Comment

Why don't you go to the Library of Birmingham where you can watch a selection of films from their archive.
                    Alternatively move to London!

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                      Why don't you go to the Library of Birmingham where you can watch a selection of films from their archive.
                      Alternatively move to London!
                      Agreed, why wouldn't the National Film Theatre and the British Film Institute be based in the capital city, it's the most populous, visited and accessible location in the country.

Comment

Also to put all that Nitrate film in Bradford might not prove to popular in Bradford.,unless they want the are to self combust.

Comment

... Bradford.,unless they want the are to self combust.
                          Is that an allusion to Bradford's coal and gas or to it being a 'hotbed of unrest' with the Chartists in the 1840s and the Islamists today?

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                            Also to put all that Nitrate film in Bradford might not prove to popular in Bradford.,unless they want the are to self combust.
                            The BFI archive is in Gaydon in Warwickshire, so Bradford can rest easy!

Comment

Working...
                            X